Where to Go For Birds?

  • stephenlouiswinter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2005
      Greetings All

      I'm new to the group, and relatively new to the state. I have a
      friend from Spain who will be visiting later this month for five days
      of birding, one of which we've already scheduled a pelagic trip for.
      He's given me a short list of species he'd like to see in order to
      fill in some of the gaps in his California/US list.

      Can anyone provide me with the names of a few locations where we
      would have good chances to see the birds on his list? Some of my co-
      workers have already recommended Diablo Canyon and Pinnacles National
      Monument as possible spots that are relatively near Los Banos (Los
      Banos is south of Modesto). We are willing, and intend, to travel
      overnight to other spots as well, and places where it would be
      possible to car/tent camp would be ideal, such as state parks,
      national forests, etc.

      His list follows, and I thank anyone who can provide me with any
      assistance with finding good spots.

      prairie falcon, mountain quail, spotted owl, northern saw-whet owl,
      black swift, Costa's hummingbird, Allen's hummingbird, white-headed
      woodpecker, black-backed woodpecker, Nuttal's woodpecker, Pinyon jay,
      Le Conte's thrasher, California thrasher, gray vireo, Scott's oriole,
      Lawrence's goldfinch, pine grosbeak, rosy finch, Cassin's finch