Crested Caracara in the dunes...(Marin County)

  • les_lieurance
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2005
      Today (May 6, 2005) Rich Stallcup relocated the Crested Caracara in
      the Pt. Reyes National Seashore. He first spotted it at the Mendoza
      (B) Ranch "schoolhouse" buildings. It was spooked by an eagle and
      flew towards the ocean. Rich last saw it in the dunes there in the
      early to mid-afternoon.

      This evening Cindy and I went out after work, arriving at 6:45pm and
      Cindy soon found the bird sitting on the ground amongst the yellow
      bush lupines in the dune area well out towards the ocean. It also
      spent time walking along a couple of the small ridges. This area is
      viewable from the road as it starts to climb up from the Mendoza area
      towards Nunez (A) ranch at the sharp curve. There is a wide pull-out
      for parking at this spot. We appreciate that Mark Butler and Mary
      Anne Rotella stopped to share their scope. I got some VERY blurry
      video.

      The Crested Caracara was first sighted by David Appleton, visiting
      from the UK, on May 3 in the morning.

      Les & Cindy Lieurance
      San Francisco