A California birding history

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2005
      It has not escaped my attention that some birders on the Web seem to
      have no idea of how or why the birding world exists as it does today.
      With this shiny new toy that lets you ask any question and get an
      instant response, there often seems little acknowledgement of the
      decades of work and exploration that went before. Perhaps it would be
      appropriate to have some birding history available on the Web.

      A year ago, I started a project to create a birding history and
      chronology of the “golden years” in California between 1965 and 1989:
      before the Internet, before cell phones, before BirdBoxes; before the
      Sibley guide and CDs. Everything that we know today is based on the
      knowledge discovered and passed down by those who went before. It is
      right and proper than we give credit to those pioneers. It was also a
      very exciting time of discoveries: when something truly new could be
      right around the next bush.

      It has been a year in the making, but my history of the birding world in
      that quarter-century is now available. The project grew to over 50 web
      pages, and includes a three-part chronology on the ‘60s, 70s, and ‘80s,
      as well as a gallery of the “top 40 birders” from those years. There are
      side pages and explanations to explore here and there, there are
      individual birding biographies of those “top 40,” and more. All of the
      pages focus on 1965-1989: they intentionally do not cover recent events
      in any detail. Read the “fine print” and the introductory material for
      more details. Also many thanks to those that contributed photos or
      stories or reviewed early drafts.

      You will not read all these pages at once. It has turned into a web
      book. But it starts at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/CAwhoswhointro.html

      Don Roberson
      [who, oddly enough, has a history degree . . . ‘twas about time it was
      used]

      P.S. Some reviewers of the draft pages suggested that I collect,
      collate, and publish short stories or reminiscences of others from this
      period in history. If those do come my way, I may create an additional
      page. As always, please send me corrections or errors that you find.
      There will surely be some mistakes here -- as in any written history.
      And please remember that is just one person’s view of history. Comments
      welcome.