Re: [CALBIRDS] RFI: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2005
      Dear Gruff,

      Brad Schramm'[s edition of the Lane Guide is far updtaed, and more detailed. Lots of good info there.
      Santa Anita Canyon will be a problem for the next 18 months or what have you, due to the extensive rockslides in our Southern California mountains caused by the record rainfall. Many of my (and others') favorite hiking or birding trails have disappeared without a trace. Work is being done to replace these trails, but this is the year when I an other will not be able to get a bunch of species at the usual easy locations. I am going to take a look at the Santa Anita Canyon area in the near future, to see how much progress is being made. The nearest Black Swifts that you can reliably get to may be at Monkeyface Falls, San Bernardino County (immediately east of LA). Also good is the Kern River in Kern County. Bob Barnes or Michael McQuery or somebody could give you specifics.
      There are multiple reliable locations for Lawrence's Goldinches, so the trick will be to chose the one closest to your other birds. Listmembers can help you decide.
      There are 2 birders who live near Santa Anita Canyon who may know more, but they travel a lot, so who knows when and if they will be checking their emails...

    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2005
        This is very interesting!
        Why do the people at the forest service office keep saying that "this is closed until May 2006" and "that is closed until December 2005"???
        I said what I said based on them telling me flat out that these roads are closed, gne, destroyed...
        Tom

        ~