RFI: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

  • Gruff Dodd
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2005
      Hi all

      I'd be extremely grateful for any information you could provide on the
      following in advance of a very brief trip to Southern California at the end
      of August 2005 - going to a wedding in Vegas, and tagging on a few days
      birding in SoCal afterwards!

      1. I was thinking of doing a day trip from Vegas to the Cima area to look
      for Crissal, Bendire's and Le Conte's Thrashers, as well as Gilded Flicker,
      Gray Vireo and Black-chinned Sparrow. Is this still considered a good area
      for these birds, and if so, are the best areas still as described in the
      Harold Holt ABA guide, or are there better areas currently?

      2. Is Santa Anita Canyon still a good spot for Black Swift? Any more
      reliable sites near to Los Angeles?

      3. Is there anywhere particularly good for Lawrence's Goldfinches this
      year?

      4. Which area of Salton Sea is currently considered most reliable for
      Yellow-footed Gull in August?

      5. Any recommendations for reliable sites, between Salton Sea and Ventura
      for the following species (all dipped on my previous visit to California!)

      Grey Flycatcher
      Brewer's Sparrow
      Grey Vireo
      Le Conte's Thrasher
      Black-chinned Sparrow
      Western Screech-Owl
      Calliope Hummingbird
      Costa's Hummingbird
      Sage Thrasher
      Williamson's Sapsucker
      Flammulated Owl
      Mountain Pygmy-Owl
      Common Poorwill
      Clark's Nutcracker
      Cassin's Finch
      Green-tailed Towhee
      Lewis's Woodpecker
      White-headed Woodpecker
      California Spotted-Owl
      Saw-whet Owl
      Olive-sided Flycatcher
      Cassin's Vireo
      Bell's Sage Sparrow
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow

      As far as I can tell, the San Gabriel mountains seems like my best bet, but
      any help in narrowing down the search area, or reliable alternative
      locations would be extremely welcome!

      Best wishes.

      GRUFF DODD
      Barri, Cymru/Wales
      gruff@...
    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2005
        Dear Gruff,

        Brad Schramm'[s edition of the Lane Guide is far updtaed, and more detailed. Lots of good info there.
        Santa Anita Canyon will be a problem for the next 18 months or what have you, due to the extensive rockslides in our Southern California mountains caused by the record rainfall. Many of my (and others') favorite hiking or birding trails have disappeared without a trace. Work is being done to replace these trails, but this is the year when I an other will not be able to get a bunch of species at the usual easy locations. I am going to take a look at the Santa Anita Canyon area in the near future, to see how much progress is being made. The nearest Black Swifts that you can reliably get to may be at Monkeyface Falls, San Bernardino County (immediately east of LA). Also good is the Kern River in Kern County. Bob Barnes or Michael McQuery or somebody could give you specifics.
        There are multiple reliable locations for Lawrence's Goldinches, so the trick will be to chose the one closest to your other birds. Listmembers can help you decide.
        There are 2 birders who live near Santa Anita Canyon who may know more, but they travel a lot, so who knows when and if they will be checking their emails...

      • Thomas Miko
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2005
          This is very interesting!
          Why do the people at the forest service office keep saying that "this is closed until May 2006" and "that is closed until December 2005"???
          I said what I said based on them telling me flat out that these roads are closed, gne, destroyed...
          Tom

          ~