King's Co. Franklin's Gull continues, plus!

  • vogelherr
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      On the way back from the Kern Biofest, the group I led stopped by the
      West Lake Farms ponds on Hwy 41 between Jersey Ave. & Kent Ave. The
      Franklin's Gull which was discovered by Jim Gain on Friday and again
      this morning, was still present this afternoon. After the majority of
      my group headed for home, Dave Quady spotted a second Franklin's Gull
      with a rosy blush across the chest which was not present in the first
      gull. Dave and I both viewed this gull with our scopes, and concluded
      that it was a different individual than the other. The first
      Franklin's we spotted was on the pond along Kent Ave. There was also
      an alternate plumaged Bonaparte's Gull present in the area making it
      easy to compare these two similar species. The Franklin's with the
      rosy blush was on the pond bordering Jersey Ave.

      -- Gary

      Sanger, Calif.