Re: [CALBIRDS] SoCal Northern Mockingbird question

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      IdLaFie,

      Incubation and nestling durations vary widely from one bird group to another. 10-20 days, give or take, is broadly typical of each for most temperate-breeding songbirds. Some raptors may go as long as 18 weeks from laying to fledging. Precocial species such as ducks and chickens often leave the nest the day they hatch, though they may return to it. There are lots of books out there that give a sense of the variation in bird breeding biologies.

      Not to pretend I'm the list moderator or anything, but this sort of question may be more appropriate for BIRDCHAT.

      Welcome to the flock.

      Ken Burton
      McKinleyville