Mitchell Canyon - Possible Veery, 4/30/05

  • Les Chibana
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Today, while leading my Palo Alto Baylands birding class on a fieldtrip
      at Mitchell Canyon, Mt. Diablo State Park, Contra Costa County, I saw a
      Catharus thrush that didn't fall into the Swainson's or Hermit box. It
      was evenly reddish brown throughout the upperparts, lacking the Hermit
      Thrush-type contrast between reddish uppertail coverts/base and the
      brownish back and wings. It did not have a noticeable eyering. And the
      breast had a buffy wash with no distinct spotting. I was not able to
      get a photo of the bird. While I have never seen this species before,
      my impression was that it was brighter rufous (more like eastern form
      than western).

      It was seen about 100 yds. beyond the #2 nature trail marker in a grove
      of oaks through which the trails cuts, approx. 0.25 mi. from the
      parking lot. The creek courses close to the trail at this point. There
      is a large oak with a trunk that splits into 4-5 smaller trunks on the
      creek side of the trail. One large branch arcs low over the ground
      toward the creek. The bird was seen in this area and in the creek.
      Observation was around 12:30p and only lasted about a minute. I got a
      15 second look at its back when I approached the creek.

      Other notable birds seen were up to 4 Bell's SAGE SPARROWS up the
      second canyon to the right, several RUFOUS/ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRDS, and a
      light-morph SWAINSON'S HAWK, seen later, along Camino Diablo west of
      Vargas Rd. We also saw a flock of about 150 TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS near
      cattle at the Y intersection of Marsh Creek Rd. and Camino Diablo.

      Les
      ---
      Les Chibana
      BirdNUTZ(tm) - Ornigasmic Birding
      Palo Alto Baylands Birding Classes
      em <les@...>
      web <http://www.birdnutz.com>
      ph 650-949-4335
      fx 650-949-4137
      snailmail: SR2 Box 335, La Honda CA 94020