How to find a fellow birder

  • JenC5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
      Hello,
      I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most (but not
      all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come along.
      How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any reference to
      lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
      Jen

    • Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
        JenC5@... wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most
        > (but not
        > all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come
        > along.
        > How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any
        > reference to
        > lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
        > Jen

        Jen -
        First of all I would suggest to you to send your message again with your
        location on it. California is a pretty big place with many groups and
        clubs devoted to birding as well as special trips by parks, museums,
        etc. - most of which are free are especially friendly to new birders.
        Actually, Steve, location of the sender should be one of the "rules" for
        calbirds.

        --
        Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
        Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
          >Hello,
          >I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most (but not
          >all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come along.
          >How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any reference to
          >lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
          >Jen

          I'd start by identifying just where you're located ;<} Then,
          likely prospects might have something to suggest. An obvious
          starting point to me is the fairly large number of Audobon local
          groups in Calif. If you're near one of them, attending a meeting is
          a good place to begin.

          If you're up to web browsing, here's the URL of a ( Bay Area ) site
          that has a lot of "starting points", including one to the the CA
          Audobon clubs, I hope!!

          It's at

          <A HREF="http://www.stanford.edu/~kendric/birds/">Birding URLs</A>

          If by chance, you're in or near the San Francisco Bay Area - one of
          Kendric's pointers gives some fellows complete summary of local
          outings planned by a variety of types of groups (birds, flowers,
          walking, ...)

          <A HREF="http://www.best.com/~folkbird/calendar/">Nature Activities</A>

          HTH, Scott
          --
          Scott T. Spencer aka stspencer@...
          Menlo Park, CA spouse: AWfolks@...

        • Steve Sosensky
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
            At 04:14 PM 2001-07-08 -0700, Hank & Priscilla Brodkin wrote:
            >Jen -
            >First of all I would suggest to you to send your message again with your
            >location on it. California is a pretty big place with many groups and
            >clubs devoted to birding as well as special trips by parks, museums,
            >etc. - most of which are free are especially friendly to new birders.
            >Actually, Steve, location of the sender should be one of the "rules" for
            >calbirds.

            I agree, Hank. Thanks for the reminder. The following text has been added
            to the group description:

            A signature is required at the end of every message and must contain your
            first and last names, your e-mail address, and your city.

            Good birding,
            Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
            Co-listowner

            10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
            Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
            SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
          • JenC5@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
              Someone suggested including my location (which was a very good suggestion,
              thanks). If anyone knows of a group in the Inland Empire, the information

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
                Steve,

                One of the reasons I have not contributed actively to this list is that the
                tone, in the past, has quickly become rather nasty and to be truthful, I was
                rather intimidated. My question was not intended to solicit personal
                solicit fellow birders (which I thought this list was intended for).
                Obviously, you disagree. In the future, I will refrain from taking an active
                part in this list (just in case the answer is available "somewhere" else).
                Thanks anyhow.
                Jen Castro
                Oak Glen, CA

                > Jen,
                >
                > It's no longer a suggestion, it's a rule. Every message you send to this
                > list must include your first and last names, your e-mail address, and your
                > city.
                >
                > The Inland Empire is a big place. I think you'll find you get answers
                > faster if you ask specific questions rather than general ones. You don't
                > need to include a street address, but a city is minimum acceptable.
                >
                > Also, please use the web site to do research before asking questions. This
                > list and its web site are still young, but if you go to the Bookmarks
                > section, then Audubon Chapters, then SoCal Audubon Chapters and clicked on
                > your county, you'll find San Bernardino Valley AS.
                >

                > Good birding,
                > Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
                > Co-listowner

              • Bob & Carol Yutzy
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
                  Hi Jen,

                  I would suggest looking in your local newspaper for nature oriented filed trips and attend them and find some other
                  bird, butterfly or flower lovers and see if you can get together and go out with them. Check out the clubs listing in
                  the paper and look fo the above oriented groups and don't forget photography clubs - they usually have some bird
                  oriented folks.

                  Another option would be to check with your local Junior college, Senior college and/or high school with adult education
                  programs. Look for bird, california plants and animals, and similar classes and take them (or arrange to go on their
                  field trips).

                  Check at any nature centers for groups or trips and attend them.

                  Also find out if there are any nesting, atlasing, banding or other bird projects you could volunteer for by asking any
                  or all the above.

                  You are bound to meet bird oriented people there in any of these.

                  Also if you have a nearby bigger city, get involved and attend their Audubon meetings. I bet you meet some other people
                  who live near to you who also attend the meetings.
                  It might even be worthwhile to run an ad in your local paper looking for like oriented people and set up regular
                  meetings (at a safe public place/library, etc.) and field trips.

                  I would also try to get the beginning type birding magazines - Birder's Digest, Wild Bird and Birder's World.

                  Well those are just some ideas.

                  Good Luck,

                  Bob Y. in Redding Calif.

                  JenC5@... wrote:

                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > One of the reasons I have not contributed actively to this list is that the
                  > tone, in the past, has quickly become rather nasty and to be truthful, I was
                  > rather intimidated. My question was not intended to solicit personal
                  > solicit fellow birders (which I thought this list was intended for).
                  > Obviously, you disagree. In the future, I will refrain from taking an active
                  > part in this list (just in case the answer is available "somewhere" else).
                  > Thanks anyhow.
                  > Jen Castro
                  > Oak Glen, CA
                  >
                  > > Jen,
                  > >
                  > > It's no longer a suggestion, it's a rule. Every message you send to this
                  > > list must include your first and last names, your e-mail address, and your
                  > > city.
                  > >
                  > > The Inland Empire is a big place. I think you'll find you get answers
                  > > faster if you ask specific questions rather than general ones. You don't
                  > > need to include a street address, but a city is minimum acceptable.
                  > >
                  > > Also, please use the web site to do research before asking questions. This
                  > > list and its web site are still young, but if you go to the Bookmarks
                  > > section, then Audubon Chapters, then SoCal Audubon Chapters and clicked on
                  > > your county, you'll find San Bernardino Valley AS.
                  > >

                  > > Good birding,
                  > > Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
                  > > Co-listowner

                  > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

                • Scott Spencer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 9, 2001
                    >Hello,
                    >I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most (but not
                    >all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come along.
                    >How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any reference to
                    >lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
                    >Jen

                    To persist beyond what probably seems reasonable -- here's another idea

                    My wife (and I, of course) belongs to the American Birding Association

                    <A HREF="http://www.americanbirding.org/">Click here</A>

                    out of Colorado Springs, CO - which publishes an annual directory
                    called "A Birder's Resource Guide". It includes names & addresses of
                    (willing) members sorted out by state and first three digits of their
                    ZIP code, eg. mine is CA/940/Spencer. If you're interested and will
                    supply me with the equivalent info for your area - I'll xerox a page
                    or two of our '01 Guide and send it along. Presumably the people in
                    this book are at least moderately tolerant of calls from strangers
                    asking for area birding info.

                    I'd need your ZIP and a mailing address, right? Looking that over
                    again, I see that what I really need is just a mailing address ;<}

                    Cheeps, Scott

                    P.S. Looking once more at my last two lines -- I conclude that in
                    this mailing list business, you want to be concise -- but not so
                    concise that you "damage the surroundings" or "hurt" one of your
                    email correspondents. We're all in this birding biz for pleasure,
                    right??