SF Bay Birds: 400-500 Eared Grebes/SM Comm Yellowthroat

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2005
      During a survey on Wed. I noted one mile south of the Dumbarton Bridge in Fremont:

      - 400-500 EARED GREBES (95% in breeding plumage)

      - COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (the "sinuosa" subspecies (?); perhaps, based
      on the Marshall and Dedrick (1995)......and perhaps to "yes," based on
      Dunn and Garrett's warbler guide). If "yes," then it was the "salt marsh common yellowthroat"
      that I observed.........and it's a special-status species according to DFG

      - CLAPPER RAIL (2-4 heard calling in far distance)

      Other fun stuff:

      - a circus of bellowing in the distance from 15-20 HARBOR SEALS that I later saw with my scope.
      My scope was a haul (though not too heavy) BUT worth the haul-out show and tell from those pinnipeds.

      Daniel Edelstein
      Novato, CA (Bay Area)

      http://home.earthlink.net/~edelstein