SF Bay Birds: 400-500 Eared Grebes/SM Comm Yellowthroat
- During a survey on Wed. I noted one mile south of the Dumbarton Bridge in Fremont:
- 400-500 EARED GREBES (95% in breeding plumage)
- COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (the "sinuosa" subspecies (?); perhaps, based
on the Marshall and Dedrick (1995)......and perhaps to "yes," based on
Dunn and Garrett's warbler guide). If "yes," then it was the "salt marsh common yellowthroat"
that I observed.........and it's a special-status species according to DFG
- CLAPPER RAIL (2-4 heard calling in far distance)
Other fun stuff:
- a circus of bellowing in the distance from 15-20 HARBOR SEALS that I later saw with my scope.
My scope was a haul (though not too heavy) BUT worth the haul-out show and tell from those pinnipeds.
Novato, CA (Bay Area)