sandpipers

  • patbairdcsulb
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
      I have been conducting surveys for sandpipers, especially peeps, along
      all coastal wetlands in California, north to Morro Bay, as well as in
      the Salton Sea and central valley, and, except for Morro Bay, have
      found almost none. Orange and San Diego county wetlands are virtually
      devoid of shorebirds. There have been a handful of avocets etc., but
      no shorebirds of any kind in the numbers expected.

      Does anyone have any insight into whether numbers are low this year?
      Or-- have the peeps come through already and we missed them? However,
      I don't think the latter is true, for there were birds just arriving
      in northern Mexico the last week of March.

      On the other hand, the birds may be elsewhere in the state
      (e.g.inland), or they even may have gone into Nevada and Utah. I have
      emailed various Audubon chapters and Nature Conservancy groups in
      those states about this, and have yet to hear back.

      We have been surveying since the first week in April, which is when
      one would expect peeps to arrive, and we will continue surveying
      through the end of this week. (Birds normally arrive in Vancouver on
      the 21st of April, so the majority of them should have passed through
      by next Monday. However, where are the birds that normally migrate
      through California?)

      Any help on this would be appreciated.
    • vicleipzig@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
        There were approximately 1,000 Western Sandpipers at Bolsa Chica on Friday,
        4/8/05. They were at the south end, viewed from the linear park off Seapoint
        Street. There were also several hundred dowitcher sp., but very few of
        other shorebird species.

        Vic

        G. Victor Leipzig, Ph.D.
        Southwest Birders
        17461 Skyline Lane
        Huntington Beach, CA 92647
        (714) 848-5394
        _http://www.southwestbirders.com_ (http://www.southwestbirders.com/)

      • Chet Ogan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
          I wonder if the wet winter in the south has increased the food supply in
          wintering grounds or conversely decreased the ability of shorebirds to
          forage efficiently.

          Chet Ogan
          Research Technician-Wildlife

          Work: cogan@... 707-825-2952