Apr 15 & May 27 Pelagic Trips

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      G'Day, Seabirders,

      Recently back from "down under" on the Great Barrier Reef and I'm ready for
      some California seabirding! Shearwater Journeys has two spring pelagic trips
      coming up, both with spaces available: April 15 and May 27. Both trips
      depart from Monterey and will head out to the Submarine Canyon. Spring is
      probably the most underated season for seabirding. This is a great time of
      the year to see the birds in "high" plumage¬čthe Pomarine Jaegers are
      particularly spiffy.

      Some of the species that we might encounter include: Black-footed and Laysan
      (rare) Albatross; Sooty, Pink-footed, Manx (rare), and Flesh-footed
      Shearwaters; Ashy and Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels (possible); Brandt's and
      Pelagic Cormorants; Red and Red-necked Phalaropes; Pomarine Jaeger; Sabine's
      Gull; Arctic and Elegant Terns; Common Murre; Pigeon Guillemot; Xantus'
      Murrelet; Cassin's and Rhinoceros Auklets; Tufted Puffin (rare), and a
      variety of marine mammals, especially Humpback Whales. We will, of course,
      look for the reported Yellow-billed Loon.

      Please make an advance reservation with Debra Shearwater at the details
      below. Both trips depart from Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey at 7 am and
      return about 3 pm.

      Aside from the lovely Giant Clams and gorgeous tropical fish, the best bird
      during two weeks on the Great Barrier Reef was a TAHITI PETREL for me! Best
      bird on the Sydney pelagic trip was a GREY TERNLET. Have to admit, I loved
      seeing all those GREAT-WINGED PETRELS, though!

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi
      ---
      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com