[CALBIRDS] Fwd: Corvids & West Nile

  • Paul Jorgensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hawk counters (Hal Cohen and others) have tallied over 1200 Common
      Ravens coming to an evening roost on Borrego Valley Road, Borrego
      Springs, Ca., on one evening, each of the last two years in spring. The
      roost is a large stand, perhaps several hundred acres of palms,
      eucalyptus and tamarisk, located 1.4 miles north of County S-22. These
      numbers were counted as ravens came into the east and north side of the
      roost only, and thus likely represent some fraction of the valley's
      population!

      A thinning of corvids by the predicted arrival of WNV will be watched
      for and might be beneficial to its prey, especially nesting birds.
      Unfortunately, we only keep the official daily hawkwatch each year from
      early Feb to mid April but, we will be on the lookout for changes in
      raven numbers. Most observers agree that the raven population here is at
      an all-time high.

      Paul Jorgensen
      California State Parks
      Colorado Desert District