Swainson's Hawk's, Borrego

  • Paul Jorgensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      Below is a summary of our hawkwatch at Borrego Springs, California. Only
      in our third year, trends are not clear, but we are in the middle of the
      period that had peak numbers of Swainson's Hawks in 2003 and 2004.

      Strong westerly and northerly winds this and last week are making
      counting difficult as many birds are scattering and/or not flying over
      our count site. Many are laying over a day or so to forage on the
      abundance of sphinx moth caterpillars and aerial feed on flying ants,
      mainly in the northeast section of the valley. Thus far, none have been
      seen to eat the exceptionally abundant painted lady butterflies.

      The anticipated large arrival ("tornado") of Swainson's has not
      materialized as of Mar 29 at 1120. Data can be viewed at
      <hawkcount.org>.

      Borrego Valley
      California, USA
      Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 25, 2005