NPR: Table of Contents-Kroodsma's "The Singing Life of Birds"

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      I second anyone else's motion who ALSO loves Dr. Donald Kroodsma's new
      book:

      The Singing Life of Birds, The Art and Science of Listening to Birdsong, Houghton Mifflin Publishing, 2005

      As many of you already know, the book he's discussing on NPR's Fresh Air today with Terry Gross............(9 am in the Bay Area..........and repeated at 7 pm on KQED, 88.5 FM)

      I have an advance copy of this book (which comes with a CD..........)

      Table of Contents include chapters discussing:

      - How Songs Develop

      - Dialects

      - Extremes of Male Song

      - The Hour Before Dawn (i.e., Dawn Chorus)

      - She Also Sings

      If you in the past did NOT like using sonograms to help distinguish bird songs, THEN
      you may finally begin to appreciate sonograms based on their excellent, articulate
      representation in this book.

      My only caveat with his sonograms: There's not always an indication as to where the individual originated, so
      it's difficult to determine subspecies/dialect trends.

      I use sonograms with my students when I teach this kind of class.....but I also show them how an alarm clock sonogram would appear (and other human devices) to provide a perspective and point of reference. Otherwise,
      sonograms are simply mumbo-jumbo nonsensical "Swahili" to most lay people.

      Daniel Edelstein
      Novato, CA (Bay Area)

      http://home.earthlink.net/~edelstein