Mystery Empid @ Corral Canyon

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      Hi, all!

      Did Corral Canyon this morning, although the back dirt road past the
      campgrounds was closed (fine with me, if it's all that bad...). I still managed to
      spend four hours in the area by hiking around the now closed primitive
      camping area on the north side of Lake Morena, but most of my birding was along the
      paved road. But about four miles in, I'd say, there's a mountain bike trail
      that crosses the road, where there are a lot of willows in the general area.
      I had an empid that struck me as a Dusky: the general jizz was rather long
      and thin and it had a rather strong eyering. It's general coloration was
      greenish-brown overall, paler on the throat, of course, with a very pale wash of
      yellow on the lower belly. The bill appeared mostly dark, and the wings
      didn't appear any darker than the rest of the bird (which made me rule out one
      of the eastern empids pretty much); wing bars were pretty strong, but I didn't
      notice any strong tertial edgings. It did flick its wings periodically, and
      gave a repeated, sharp "pip!" note. When I got home and compared recordings,
      however, the sound I heard was much closer to Hammond's than Dusky (there
      was no hint of a "w" sound in the call), but this bird didn't strike me as a
      Hammond's at all: most Hammond's I've seen have been chunky, short-tailed
      little things, and this guy definitely struck me as a "Jeff" rather than a "Mutt"!
      But since the call notes are supposed to be diagnostic, I'm leaning towards
      Hammond's. Any thoughts? (Oh, and it didn't give me a Gray Flycatcher
      down-wag, either...)

      Here's the complete list for today: House Wren was definitely the Corral
      Canyon mascot this month! Also had good looks at Lawrence's Goldfinches along
      the road in the oaks.

      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Band-tailed Pigeon Patagioenas fasciata
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Hammond's Flycatcher? Empidonax hammondii
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      American Robin Turdus migratorius
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina
      Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus
      Fox Sparrow Passerella iliaca
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus
      Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater
      Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii

      51 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe