Borrego Valley hawkwatch

  • Paul Jorgensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2005
      I tried to send this post yesterday but inadvertently added the
      hawkwatch results as an attachment, which apparently does not work.

      So, here is the update of our Borrego Valley California hawkwatch
      totals as of yesterday. The first Swainson's Hawks (25) were seen Feb. 5
      but we did not start operating the official daily watch til Feb 11.
      Results of the this and the previous two years can be viewed at
      <www.hawkcount.org>.

      We wonder if the early Swainson's Hawks were those known to winter in
      Mexico, and if so, when do Argentine birds reach Borrego. Also, why are
      larger numbers apparently migrating earlier than ever documented. We
      also wonder where they roost (or stage) before and after reaching
      Borrego. We speculate that they fly about 100-150 miles per day, based
      on total distance covered and the total time of migration. We are
      attempting to get information from Argentina and the Central
      American/Mexico hawk count sites. Current studies on Swainson's shed
      some light on migration questions but much of the existing data
      collected by California researchers remains to be published, and many
      migration questions remain unaddressed.

      Anyone with ideas or info please contact Hal Cohen or me.

      Borrego Valley
      California, USA
      Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 14, 2005

      Black Vulture 0 0 0