Blue Jay and interesting Yellow-billed Swan

  • scre@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
      Daryl Coldren and I headed up to Humboldt County and Siskiyou Counties to
      look for reported rarities. The Blue Jay and Least Flycatcher continues in
      Humboldt County. See the Arcata Birdbox for details.

      In Siskiyou county the interesting yellow billed swan that Daryl, Matt Brady,
      and I had found back in November and has been reported as a "Whooper" Swan
      since. Details that made me hesitant about it being a Whooper Swan include its
      small size (just a touch taller than the Whistlings nearby and overall bulk
      was about the same), the shape of the yellow on the bill, and the over all shape
      of the bill. The yellow came down in two points that were equal in length.
      They came down to about the nostril but did not extent any further. These
      details kind of make me wonder if this isn't one of the progeny of the probable
      mixed pairs seen here in previous years. I wonder though if a pure Whooper
      Swan could show this and would love to hear about known variation in Whooper
      Swans. For now I think I will continue to refer to it as a Yellow-billed Swan.
      Good Birding all.

      David Vander Pluym
      Santa Cruz

    • scre@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
        Forgot to mention that the swan was on White Lake and that the Harris's
        Sparrow continued at the start of the Tule Lake NWR auto tour loop.

        David Vander Pluym
        Santa Cruz