RE: [CALBIRDS] Trip Report - Grizzly Island WMA, Mar 3'05

  • Peter Sullins
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
      Folks....

      First, I am not in the least offended or upset at all... As Joseph
      points out, making mistakes and being corrected is very important... I learn
      from all my mistakes, as I'm sure we all do...

      Yes, I am from Washington, in Calif on business and (fortunately) able
      to squeeze in one quick day of birding an area I've only heard abt and never
      (until yesterday) seen or visited. No I am not familiar with distribution
      and when the critters arrive down here. So knowing some of the birds I
      reported were "early" is very good information to have, and would have given
      me greater pause yesterday. One thing I do want to make you aware of is that
      I am a handicapped birder (wheelchair) ... Meaning I bird entirely from my
      vehicle. So if I can't see the pond, or the birds don't show themselves even
      a little on the roads, then I flat don't see them. So all those American
      Wigeons were probably behind some island or clump of cattails and unseen. I
      have no way of "getting position" on the location if you take my meaning.
      Plus, I was pressed for time and it may be years before I get back to
      Grizzly Island.

      I am aware the ratio of different species of birds should fall into
      rough patterns (generally speaking and of course depending on species). For
      example, I know if you see a Black-necked Stilt, you should be able to find
      an American Avocet around somewhere. At least that's what happens in
      Washington. However today, at Skaggs Island off CA37, I counted around 400
      Avocets with not a Stilt in sight. And tonight, just outside Fairfield where
      I'm staying, just the reverse.

      I am also of the opinion there are odd things happening in bird-dom
      these days. Before I left home a week ago, which would have been the end of
      February, we were already getting Hummers, an invasion of Robins, and the
      Sandhills were already being reported in Central Washington. All pretty
      early. At least earlier than I can remember. I mean Hummers in Blaine, WA
      (up on Canadian border) was quite a surprise. So, while I certainly do not
      disagree with Guy on the timing of the Warblers and Flycatchers, recent
      experience tells me it's possible.

      Finally, I have a definite process to reporting what for me are Lifers -
      as the Warbler, Yellowthroat, Dusky, & Lark Sparrow were. After coming to a
      preliminary ID in the field, with my trusty Audubon Field Guide, 3rd ed.,
      before recording it as a sighting, I check against my Guide to North
      American Birds and on the CLO Guide to Birds of North American v3 on my
      computer, plus the rest of my library, Northern Prairie etc if I still have
      questions. When I'm on the road as now, its Audubon Field Guide, my Sibley,
      and CLO on the computer. I don't report if I don't believe. I don't report
      "heard but not seen", "probables", "flew by quicklies" etc. I have to really
      see it to put it down on paper and report same. No maybes or should be's.

      So again, no offense taken at all... Glad to hear from everyone,
      especially Guy... I share Joseph's comments concerning Guy McKaskie. All
      should read the most recent issue I think from CLO concerning California
      Birding and how it came to have its current status.

      Good birding to all...

      Peter Sullins
      The Sullins Family
      In The Village of Silver Firs
      Everett, WA
      TheSullinsFamily@...

      Benjamin Franklin

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
        Just to make a few observations, from the point of view of a relatively
        amateur birder, although I've been birding for most of my life on a hobby
        level. I've also managed to get my husband into the fray and he is decidedly
        amateur.

        I should also mention that I also have a distinct "handicap"-- my son is not
        quite two, and very active. Fortunately he also loves nature and the sounds
        birds make.

        I think we all can agree that the weather has been something quite unusual
        these past few months. We've had numerous reports here in Southern
        California of irruption birds such as Pine Siskin at low elevations. Some
        things are normal, some are not. My husband saw an Osprey in Anaheim (local
        birders know what I refer to, and yes, I double checked his observation)
        which looked to be in relatively bad shape. I suspect that all the extra
        rain has been affecting the food supplies of some birds.

        That said, I would not be surprised if some migrations are occurring a
        couple of weeks earlier or later than usual. Not much more than that, of
        course, but a couple of weeks leeway in these truly unusual years might be
        justified for some species.

        I suppose this could also affect some of the ratios of some of the birds.
        However, (nothing personal here) some of those observations probably could
        use a second or third look. We're having an unusual year, but not
        catastrophically so. And I've been seeing plenty of Amer. Wigeons... that is
        one ratio that even I saw something odd about.

        That said....

        This list is a large one... but not everyone here is at advanced levels. We
        have Kimball (et al) here, and we have relative amateurs as well. If indeed
        we want to restrict this list to the truly extraordinary sightings such as
        Puffins or Iceland Gulls, then we probably want to look at creating a sister
        list where amateurs can chat about our sightings. For me, seeing an Osprey
        is still a bit exciting. It may not be for others. Then again, for five
        years seeing Scaled Quail was routine for me. I think we can all agree that
        the world of ornithology is well served by new amateurs who gain knowledge
        and proficiency. However, we cannot gain that proficiency by osmosis! Books
        help, but so does listening to other birders describe the trends and
        patterns. When the more experienced birders are willing to help and to
        listen well, it helps us to gain confidence. I was at Bolsa Chica one day
        last year on one of my first field walks out here in California, and came
        across two wonderful ladies who helped me sort out a bunch of shorebirds
        that I was not familiar with (being an inland birder has disadvantages). I
        forget your names, but I have not forgotten your patience and kindness.

        I'm willing to lurk and learn, to a large extent, but I also like to share
        what I know. Let's not forget that we were all amateurs once, and we all
        acquired knowledge of ornithology through time.

        Lidia Seebeck
        lidia@...