Common Black Hawk in Stockton still present

  • jeffers_richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2005
      The Common Black Hawk was still in the shallow slough behind the
      Falconcrest condos in Stockton Friday (3/4) around 3:30pm. I was
      not able to see the bird from the complex itself, so I tried again
      from the storage facility just north of there on Mariner's Drive.
      From the north end of the waterway, I could scope down its length.
      The bird was past the main pool of water on a low overhanging
      branch. The view was quite distant from this point and a scope was
      definitely necessary to identify the bird. Walking down the dike
      did not give satisfactory viewing, at least not where the bird was
      sitting at the time, as the view was blocked by intervening trees
      and reeds. After a few minutes the bird flew across the slough
      disappearing into or behind hanging (weeping?) willows in the next
      condo/apartment complex south of Falconcrest.

      The water in this slough is quite low, but with recent rains it
      seems there is still some potential habitat for fish or frogs (or
      crayfish?). In any case, I think there is still a fair chance for
      folks to relocate the bird here again for the next few days. This
      was my fourth attempt to see this bird, after three misses at North
      Lake weeks ago. Good luck,

      Richard