Re: [CALBIRDS] Trip Report - Grizzly Island WMA, Mar 3'05

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
      Jenny,

      There are many people on this mailing list of differing experience and
      ability. Guy correctly pointed out that the list of birds reported by
      Peter contained many questionable identifications. I don't know how much
      experience Peter may have. He may have much experience elsewhere, but be
      unfamiliar with the status and distribution of birds in California (his
      signature indicates he lives in Washington State).

      In any event, I think Guy provided an important service to others in
      questioning a number of the species reported that are very unlikely to be
      seen there at this time of year. I think Guy's corrections are very
      helpful information for anybody reading this list who may be unfamiliar
      with the status and distribution of birds at Grizzly Island or California.

      One of the purposes of this list is to share sightings, but another is to
      educate. I learn from the sightings of others what I may expect to see on
      my next trip. And if I report a bird that is unlikely or mistaken I WANT
      people to correct my mistakes. We all make mistakes. The important thing
      is to try to improve and to learn from our mistakes.

      In my experience, Guy is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful birders
      in California. He has done more for field ornithology in the state than
      anybody and I thank him for taking the time to educate us and help us
      improve.

      If Peter was offended (and he hasn't said he was) by the corrections Guy
      offered, I don't think he should be. Instead, he should chalk it up to a
      useful learning experience and perhaps work to improve his identification
      skills.

      On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:06:20 -0000, "Jenny Vickers" <winter.wren@...>
      wrote:

      >Guy
      >
      >If Peter is a man just starting out in birding, then your reply might surely
      >put him off for life, at the least in terms of sharing his enjoyment of
      >birding on this listserve. Instead of just listing in a somewhat terse way,
      >the birds you feel he may or may not have mis-identified, it might have been
      >more encouraging and sensitive for you to firstly have replied to him
      >personally, and secondly to have given him suggestions of other similar
      >birds that he more likely might have seen.
      >
      >sincerely
      >Jenny Vickers
      >Somerset
      >UK

      >>> 8 American Tree Sparrows
      >>> 1 Common Yellowthroat
      >>> ~300 Red-winged Blackbirds (Some puffed out showing their Red for
      >>> everything they're worth!)
      >>> 44 Western Meadowlarks (actually seen - Song heard everywhere)
      >>> 34 Mallards (two-by-two)
      >>> 9 American Wigeons
      >>> 2 American Kestrels (Both female)
      >>> 10 American Crows
      >>> 33 White-crowned Sparrow (including one fellow bathing in a
      >>> puddle!)
      >>> 9 Lark Sparrows
      >>> 38 Northern Pintails
      >>> 9 Killdeer
      >>> 3 House Finches
      >>> 22 Black-necked Stilts
      >>> 56 Northern Shovelers
      >>> 99 Great Egrets, many showing long lacy brownish plumes
      >>> 26 Northern Harriers
      >>> 318 American Coots (give or take a bzillion or so)
      >>> 1 Red-tailed Hawk
      >>> 7 Swamp Sparrows
      >>> 4 Snowy Egrets
      >>> 19 Eurasian Wigeons
      >>> 3 Pelagic Cormorants
      >>> 43 American White Pelicans
      >>> 16 American Avocets
      >>> 10 Short-billed Dowitchers (coloring on front)
      >>> 255 Dunlin
      >>> 3 Black Phoebes
      >>> 14 Purple Finches
      >>> 2 Song Sparrows
      >>> 1 Great Blue Heron
      >>> 5 Chipping Sparrows
      >>> 2 Nashville Warblers
      >>> ~50 Northern Rough-winged Swallows (taking over the Hunters
      >>> Station Bldg at Parking Area 1a)
      >>> 1 Bufflehead
      >>> 2 Dusky Flycatchers
      >>> 11 Cinnamon Teal
      >>> 13 Pied-bill Grebes
      >>> 1 Savannah Sparrow
      >>> 1 European Starling (working over a Brown-headed Cowbird)
      >>> 1 Brown-headed Cowbird (trying to outrun one angry European
      >>> Starling)
      >>> 9 Double-crested Cormorants

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.org
      Birding Classes in SF start Feb.8 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
        I am not the list owner, but I suspect that I represent a majority
        view of those who use CalBirds and feel that is a email list for bird
        observations of Statewide interest, plus other related announcements
        or topics of Statewide interest, but it not the place for beginning
        birders to be posting their lists of a local day's birding, and
        especially so when they are not competent to identify a good many of
        the birds they saw.

        The introduction to CalBirds says: "This list is designed to have a
        statewide scope. For lists which operate on the county or regional
        level, please see Steve Holzman's county list page.
        [citing http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/emailmap.htm ]" Local
        bird observations should be posted on local chat lines.

        Guy McCaskie quite appropriately pointed out numerous identification
        errors in the Grizzly Island list posted, some of which would have
        been of Statewide interest had they remotely had the chance to be
        correct. Every observation Guy questioned was appropriately
        questioned; indeed, there are other claims on the day's list that are
        also extremely questionable. If Guy's comments will keep beginning
        birders from posting clearly erroneous material that waste time for
        all CalBird readers, then I believe the response was of much value.

        Let me stipulate that I was once a beginner, and that my first report
        of a day's bird list in California when I was 13 years old included
        claims of several "Baird's Sparrows," and that I felt honored when the
        AFN editor at the time took the time to point out to me that I had
        made a mistake. [They were, of course, Savannah Sparrows.] I
        recognize that times have changed since 1965, but the mere fact that
        everyone has the same access to the Internet does not mean that
        everyone's opinion is of equal value, or that everyone's bird posting
        is of equal value. CalBirds is meant to rapidly communicate reliable
        information about birds and bird topics of Statewide interest, and
        those who misuse it should be informed of their misuse, IMHO.

        And perhaps we could now close this thread? Please email me
        personally with your disagreement.

        Don Roberson
        Pacific Grove CA
        creagrus@...
      • Peter Sullins
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
          Folks....

          First, I am not in the least offended or upset at all... As Joseph
          points out, making mistakes and being corrected is very important... I learn
          from all my mistakes, as I'm sure we all do...

          Yes, I am from Washington, in Calif on business and (fortunately) able
          to squeeze in one quick day of birding an area I've only heard abt and never
          (until yesterday) seen or visited. No I am not familiar with distribution
          and when the critters arrive down here. So knowing some of the birds I
          reported were "early" is very good information to have, and would have given
          me greater pause yesterday. One thing I do want to make you aware of is that
          I am a handicapped birder (wheelchair) ... Meaning I bird entirely from my
          vehicle. So if I can't see the pond, or the birds don't show themselves even
          a little on the roads, then I flat don't see them. So all those American
          Wigeons were probably behind some island or clump of cattails and unseen. I
          have no way of "getting position" on the location if you take my meaning.
          Plus, I was pressed for time and it may be years before I get back to
          Grizzly Island.

          I am aware the ratio of different species of birds should fall into
          rough patterns (generally speaking and of course depending on species). For
          example, I know if you see a Black-necked Stilt, you should be able to find
          an American Avocet around somewhere. At least that's what happens in
          Washington. However today, at Skaggs Island off CA37, I counted around 400
          Avocets with not a Stilt in sight. And tonight, just outside Fairfield where
          I'm staying, just the reverse.

          I am also of the opinion there are odd things happening in bird-dom
          these days. Before I left home a week ago, which would have been the end of
          February, we were already getting Hummers, an invasion of Robins, and the
          Sandhills were already being reported in Central Washington. All pretty
          early. At least earlier than I can remember. I mean Hummers in Blaine, WA
          (up on Canadian border) was quite a surprise. So, while I certainly do not
          disagree with Guy on the timing of the Warblers and Flycatchers, recent
          experience tells me it's possible.

          Finally, I have a definite process to reporting what for me are Lifers -
          as the Warbler, Yellowthroat, Dusky, & Lark Sparrow were. After coming to a
          preliminary ID in the field, with my trusty Audubon Field Guide, 3rd ed.,
          before recording it as a sighting, I check against my Guide to North
          American Birds and on the CLO Guide to Birds of North American v3 on my
          computer, plus the rest of my library, Northern Prairie etc if I still have
          questions. When I'm on the road as now, its Audubon Field Guide, my Sibley,
          and CLO on the computer. I don't report if I don't believe. I don't report
          "heard but not seen", "probables", "flew by quicklies" etc. I have to really
          see it to put it down on paper and report same. No maybes or should be's.

          So again, no offense taken at all... Glad to hear from everyone,
          especially Guy... I share Joseph's comments concerning Guy McKaskie. All
          should read the most recent issue I think from CLO concerning California
          Birding and how it came to have its current status.

          _____

          wrote:

          >Guy
          >
          >If Peter is a man just starting out in birding, then your reply might
          surely
          >put him off for life, at the least in terms of sharing his enjoyment of
          >birding on this listserve. Instead of just listing in a somewhat terse
          way,
          >the birds you feel he may or may not have mis-identified, it might have
          been
          >more encouraging and sensitive for you to firstly have replied to him
          >personally, and secondly to have given him suggestions of other similar
          >birds that he more likely might have seen.
          >
          >sincerely
          >Jenny Vickers
          >Somerset
          >UK

          >>> 8 American Tree Sparrows

          --
          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.org
          Birding Classes in SF start Feb.8 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290ji0bs/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1110068684/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.
          netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

          :HM/A=2593423/rand=872599267>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Lidia Seebeck
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
            Just to make a few observations, from the point of view of a relatively
            amateur birder, although I've been birding for most of my life on a hobby
            level. I've also managed to get my husband into the fray and he is decidedly
            amateur.

            I should also mention that I also have a distinct "handicap"-- my son is not
            quite two, and very active. Fortunately he also loves nature and the sounds
            birds make.

            I think we all can agree that the weather has been something quite unusual
            these past few months. We've had numerous reports here in Southern
            California of irruption birds such as Pine Siskin at low elevations. Some
            things are normal, some are not. My husband saw an Osprey in Anaheim (local
            birders know what I refer to, and yes, I double checked his observation)
            which looked to be in relatively bad shape. I suspect that all the extra
            rain has been affecting the food supplies of some birds.

            That said, I would not be surprised if some migrations are occurring a
            couple of weeks earlier or later than usual. Not much more than that, of
            course, but a couple of weeks leeway in these truly unusual years might be
            justified for some species.

            I suppose this could also affect some of the ratios of some of the birds.
            However, (nothing personal here) some of those observations probably could
            use a second or third look. We're having an unusual year, but not
            catastrophically so. And I've been seeing plenty of Amer. Wigeons... that is
            one ratio that even I saw something odd about.

            That said....

            This list is a large one... but not everyone here is at advanced levels. We
            have Kimball (et al) here, and we have relative amateurs as well. If indeed
            we want to restrict this list to the truly extraordinary sightings such as
            Puffins or Iceland Gulls, then we probably want to look at creating a sister
            list where amateurs can chat about our sightings. For me, seeing an Osprey
            is still a bit exciting. It may not be for others. Then again, for five
            years seeing Scaled Quail was routine for me. I think we can all agree that
            the world of ornithology is well served by new amateurs who gain knowledge
            and proficiency. However, we cannot gain that proficiency by osmosis! Books
            help, but so does listening to other birders describe the trends and
            patterns. When the more experienced birders are willing to help and to
            listen well, it helps us to gain confidence. I was at Bolsa Chica one day
            last year on one of my first field walks out here in California, and came
            across two wonderful ladies who helped me sort out a bunch of shorebirds
            that I was not familiar with (being an inland birder has disadvantages). I
            forget your names, but I have not forgotten your patience and kindness.

            I'm willing to lurk and learn, to a large extent, but I also like to share
            what I know. Let's not forget that we were all amateurs once, and we all
            acquired knowledge of ornithology through time.

            Lidia Seebeck
            lidia@...