Trip Report - Grizzly Island WMA, Mar 3'05

  • Peter Sullins
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3 5:53 PM
      All...

      Spent the day birding Grizzly Island WMA near Fairfield/Suisun City,
      CA

      Low Temp: 45 Deg
      High Temp: 65 Deg
      Weather: Sunny with high haze; No wind or even breezes until very
      late in day
      Cloud Cover: ~75% of sky covered with clouds
      Started 8A & Finished 3:30P

      Birds Seen:

      58 Golden-Crowned Sparrows
      8 American Tree Sparrows
      1 Common Yellowthroat
      ~300 Red-winged Blackbirds (Some puffed out showing their Red for
      everything they're worth!)
      44 Western Meadowlarks (actually seen - Song heard everywhere)
      34 Mallards (two-by-two)
      9 American Wigeons
      2 American Kestrels (Both female)
      10 American Crows
      33 White-crowned Sparrow (including one fellow bathing in a
      puddle!)
      9 Lark Sparrows
      38 Northern Pintails
      9 Killdeer
      3 House Finches
      22 Black-necked Stilts
      56 Northern Shovelers
      99 Great Egrets, many showing long lacy brownish plumes
      26 Northern Harriers
      318 American Coots (give or take a bzillion or so)
      1 Red-tailed Hawk
      7 Swamp Sparrows
      4 Snowy Egrets
      19 Eurasian Wigeons
      3 Pelagic Cormorants
      43 American White Pelicans
      16 American Avocets
      10 Short-billed Dowitchers (coloring on front)
      255 Dunlin
      3 Black Phoebes
      14 Purple Finches
      2 Song Sparrows
      1 Great Blue Heron
      5 Chipping Sparrows
      2 Nashville Warblers
      ~50 Northern Rough-winged Swallows (taking over the Hunters
      Station Bldg at Parking Area 1a)
      1 Bufflehead
      2 Dusky Flycatchers
      11 Cinnamon Teal
      13 Pied-bill Grebes
      1 Savannah Sparrow
      1 European Starling (working over a Brown-headed Cowbird)
      1 Brown-headed Cowbird (trying to outrun one angry European
      Starling)
      9 Double-crested Cormorants
      3 Ash-throated Flycatchers

      Good day of birding. Breezes began picking up around 3P. All the
      ponds began to get little ripples on them then.

      Good birding to all....

      Peter Sullins
      The Sullins Family
      In The Village of Silver Firs
      Everett, WA
      TheSullinsFamily@...

      Benjamin Franklin
    • Guy McCaskie
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4 5:52 AM
        Peter,

        I question your identity of some of the species you listed, and ask myself
        if you correctly identified any of the birds you reported.

        19 Eurasian Wigeon and only 9 American Wigeon - a totally unrealistic ratio
        2 Dusky Flycatchers - this species does not arrive in California until
        mid-April, and even then is rare on the coast of central and northern
        California.
        3 Ash-throated Flycatchers - this species does not arrive in California
        until early April
        2 Nashville Warblers - this species does not arrive in California until
        early April
        8 American Tree Sparrows - a very rarer to casual visitor to the San
        Francisco Bay Area with no record of as many as eight
        7 Swamp Sparrows and only two Song Sparrows - another totally unrealistic
        ratio

        Guy McCaskie
        954 Grove Avenue
        Imperial Beach, CA 91932
        TEL 619-423-7524

        > Spent the day birding Grizzly Island WMA near Fairfield/Suisun City,
        > CA
        >
        > Low Temp: 45 Deg
        > High Temp: 65 Deg
        > Weather: Sunny with high haze; No wind or even breezes until very
        > late in day
        > Cloud Cover: ~75% of sky covered with clouds
        > Started 8A & Finished 3:30P
        >
        > Birds Seen:
        >
        > 58 Golden-Crowned Sparrows
        > 8 American Tree Sparrows
        > 1 Common Yellowthroat
        > ~300 Red-winged Blackbirds (Some puffed out showing their Red for
        > everything they're worth!)
        > 44 Western Meadowlarks (actually seen - Song heard everywhere)
        > 34 Mallards (two-by-two)
        > 9 American Wigeons
        > 2 American Kestrels (Both female)
        > 10 American Crows
        > 33 White-crowned Sparrow (including one fellow bathing in a
        > puddle!)
        > 9 Lark Sparrows
        > 38 Northern Pintails
        > 9 Killdeer
        > 3 House Finches
        > 22 Black-necked Stilts
        > 56 Northern Shovelers
        > 99 Great Egrets, many showing long lacy brownish plumes
        > 26 Northern Harriers
        > 318 American Coots (give or take a bzillion or so)
        > 1 Red-tailed Hawk
        > 7 Swamp Sparrows
        > 4 Snowy Egrets
        > 19 Eurasian Wigeons
        > 3 Pelagic Cormorants
        > 43 American White Pelicans
        > 16 American Avocets
        > 10 Short-billed Dowitchers (coloring on front)
        > 255 Dunlin
        > 3 Black Phoebes
        > 14 Purple Finches
        > 2 Song Sparrows
        > 1 Great Blue Heron
        > 5 Chipping Sparrows
        > 2 Nashville Warblers
        > ~50 Northern Rough-winged Swallows (taking over the Hunters
        > Station Bldg at Parking Area 1a)
        > 1 Bufflehead
        > 2 Dusky Flycatchers
        > 11 Cinnamon Teal
        > 13 Pied-bill Grebes
        > 1 Savannah Sparrow
        > 1 European Starling (working over a Brown-headed Cowbird)
        > 1 Brown-headed Cowbird (trying to outrun one angry European
        > Starling)
        > 9 Double-crested Cormorants
        > 3 Ash-throated Flycatchers
        >
        > Good day of birding. Breezes began picking up around 3P. All the
        > ponds began to get little ripples on them then.
        >
        > Good birding to all....
        >

        > Peter Sullins
        > The Sullins Family
        > In The Village of Silver Firs
        > Everett, WA
        > TheSullinsFamily@...

        > Benjamin Franklin

        these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nathaniel Wander
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4 7:42 AM
          And:

          > > ~50 Northern Rough-winged Swallows (taking over the Hunters
          > > Station Bldg at Parking Area 1a)

          Do Rough-wingeds associate in numbers like this? Aren't they riverbank
          nesters? What could it mean that they are taking over a building?

          Nathaniel
        • Jenny Vickers
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4 9:06 AM
            Guy

            If Peter is a man just starting out in birding, then your reply might surely
            put him off for life, at the least in terms of sharing his enjoyment of
            birding on this listserve. Instead of just listing in a somewhat terse way,
            the birds you feel he may or may not have mis-identified, it might have been
            more encouraging and sensitive for you to firstly have replied to him
            personally, and secondly to have given him suggestions of other similar
            birds that he more likely might have seen.

            sincerely
            Jenny Vickers
            Somerset
            UK

            > I question your identity of some of the species you listed, and ask myself
            > if you correctly identified any of the birds you reported.
            >
            > 19 Eurasian Wigeon and only 9 American Wigeon - a totally unrealistic
            > ratio
            > 2 Dusky Flycatchers - this species does not arrive in California until
            > mid-April, and even then is rare on the coast of central and northern
            > California.
            > 3 Ash-throated Flycatchers - this species does not arrive in California
            > until early April
            > 2 Nashville Warblers - this species does not arrive in California until
            > early April
            > 8 American Tree Sparrows - a very rarer to casual visitor to the San
            > Francisco Bay Area with no record of as many as eight
            > 7 Swamp Sparrows and only two Song Sparrows - another totally unrealistic
            > ratio
            >
            > Guy McCaskie
            > 954 Grove Avenue
            > Imperial Beach, CA 91932
            > TEL 619-423-7524

          • Joseph Morlan
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4 4:25 PM
              Jenny,

              There are many people on this mailing list of differing experience and
              ability. Guy correctly pointed out that the list of birds reported by
              Peter contained many questionable identifications. I don't know how much
              experience Peter may have. He may have much experience elsewhere, but be
              unfamiliar with the status and distribution of birds in California (his
              signature indicates he lives in Washington State).

              In any event, I think Guy provided an important service to others in
              questioning a number of the species reported that are very unlikely to be
              seen there at this time of year. I think Guy's corrections are very
              helpful information for anybody reading this list who may be unfamiliar
              with the status and distribution of birds at Grizzly Island or California.

              One of the purposes of this list is to share sightings, but another is to
              educate. I learn from the sightings of others what I may expect to see on
              my next trip. And if I report a bird that is unlikely or mistaken I WANT
              people to correct my mistakes. We all make mistakes. The important thing
              is to try to improve and to learn from our mistakes.

              In my experience, Guy is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful birders
              in California. He has done more for field ornithology in the state than
              anybody and I thank him for taking the time to educate us and help us
              improve.

              If Peter was offended (and he hasn't said he was) by the corrections Guy
              offered, I don't think he should be. Instead, he should chalk it up to a
              useful learning experience and perhaps work to improve his identification
              skills.

              On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:06:20 -0000, "Jenny Vickers" <winter.wren@...>
              wrote:

              >Guy
              >
              >If Peter is a man just starting out in birding, then your reply might surely
              >put him off for life, at the least in terms of sharing his enjoyment of
              >birding on this listserve. Instead of just listing in a somewhat terse way,
              >the birds you feel he may or may not have mis-identified, it might have been
              >more encouraging and sensitive for you to firstly have replied to him
              >personally, and secondly to have given him suggestions of other similar
              >birds that he more likely might have seen.
              >
              >sincerely
              >Jenny Vickers
              >Somerset
              >UK

              >>> 8 American Tree Sparrows

              --
              Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.org
              Birding Classes in SF start Feb.8 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4 4:48 PM
                I am not the list owner, but I suspect that I represent a majority
                view of those who use CalBirds and feel that is a email list for bird
                observations of Statewide interest, plus other related announcements
                or topics of Statewide interest, but it not the place for beginning
                birders to be posting their lists of a local day's birding, and
                especially so when they are not competent to identify a good many of
                the birds they saw.

                The introduction to CalBirds says: "This list is designed to have a
                statewide scope. For lists which operate on the county or regional
                level, please see Steve Holzman's county list page.
                [citing http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/emailmap.htm ]" Local
                bird observations should be posted on local chat lines.

                Guy McCaskie quite appropriately pointed out numerous identification
                errors in the Grizzly Island list posted, some of which would have
                been of Statewide interest had they remotely had the chance to be
                correct. Every observation Guy questioned was appropriately
                questioned; indeed, there are other claims on the day's list that are
                also extremely questionable. If Guy's comments will keep beginning
                birders from posting clearly erroneous material that waste time for
                all CalBird readers, then I believe the response was of much value.

                Let me stipulate that I was once a beginner, and that my first report
                of a day's bird list in California when I was 13 years old included
                claims of several "Baird's Sparrows," and that I felt honored when the
                AFN editor at the time took the time to point out to me that I had
                made a mistake. [They were, of course, Savannah Sparrows.] I
                recognize that times have changed since 1965, but the mere fact that
                everyone has the same access to the Internet does not mean that
                everyone's opinion is of equal value, or that everyone's bird posting
                is of equal value. CalBirds is meant to rapidly communicate reliable
                information about birds and bird topics of Statewide interest, and
                those who misuse it should be informed of their misuse, IMHO.

                And perhaps we could now close this thread? Please email me
                personally with your disagreement.

                Don Roberson
                Pacific Grove CA
                creagrus@...
              • Peter Sullins
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4 5:09 PM
                  Folks....

                  First, I am not in the least offended or upset at all... As Joseph
                  points out, making mistakes and being corrected is very important... I learn
                  from all my mistakes, as I'm sure we all do...

                  Yes, I am from Washington, in Calif on business and (fortunately) able
                  to squeeze in one quick day of birding an area I've only heard abt and never
                  (until yesterday) seen or visited. No I am not familiar with distribution
                  and when the critters arrive down here. So knowing some of the birds I
                  reported were "early" is very good information to have, and would have given
                  me greater pause yesterday. One thing I do want to make you aware of is that
                  I am a handicapped birder (wheelchair) ... Meaning I bird entirely from my
                  vehicle. So if I can't see the pond, or the birds don't show themselves even
                  a little on the roads, then I flat don't see them. So all those American
                  Wigeons were probably behind some island or clump of cattails and unseen. I
                  have no way of "getting position" on the location if you take my meaning.
                  Plus, I was pressed for time and it may be years before I get back to
                  Grizzly Island.

                  I am aware the ratio of different species of birds should fall into
                  rough patterns (generally speaking and of course depending on species). For
                  example, I know if you see a Black-necked Stilt, you should be able to find
                  an American Avocet around somewhere. At least that's what happens in
                  Washington. However today, at Skaggs Island off CA37, I counted around 400
                  Avocets with not a Stilt in sight. And tonight, just outside Fairfield where
                  I'm staying, just the reverse.

                  I am also of the opinion there are odd things happening in bird-dom
                  these days. Before I left home a week ago, which would have been the end of
                  February, we were already getting Hummers, an invasion of Robins, and the
                  Sandhills were already being reported in Central Washington. All pretty
                  early. At least earlier than I can remember. I mean Hummers in Blaine, WA
                  (up on Canadian border) was quite a surprise. So, while I certainly do not
                  disagree with Guy on the timing of the Warblers and Flycatchers, recent
                  experience tells me it's possible.

                  Finally, I have a definite process to reporting what for me are Lifers -
                  as the Warbler, Yellowthroat, Dusky, & Lark Sparrow were. After coming to a
                  preliminary ID in the field, with my trusty Audubon Field Guide, 3rd ed.,
                  before recording it as a sighting, I check against my Guide to North
                  American Birds and on the CLO Guide to Birds of North American v3 on my
                  computer, plus the rest of my library, Northern Prairie etc if I still have
                  questions. When I'm on the road as now, its Audubon Field Guide, my Sibley,
                  and CLO on the computer. I don't report if I don't believe. I don't report
                  "heard but not seen", "probables", "flew by quicklies" etc. I have to really
                  see it to put it down on paper and report same. No maybes or should be's.

                  So again, no offense taken at all... Glad to hear from everyone,
                  especially Guy... I share Joseph's comments concerning Guy McKaskie. All
                  should read the most recent issue I think from CLO concerning California
                  Birding and how it came to have its current status.

                  _____

                  wrote:

                  >Guy
                  >
                  >If Peter is a man just starting out in birding, then your reply might
                  surely
                  >put him off for life, at the least in terms of sharing his enjoyment of
                  >birding on this listserve. Instead of just listing in a somewhat terse
                  way,
                  >the birds you feel he may or may not have mis-identified, it might have
                  been
                  >more encouraging and sensitive for you to firstly have replied to him
                  >personally, and secondly to have given him suggestions of other similar
                  >birds that he more likely might have seen.
                  >
                  >sincerely
                  >Jenny Vickers
                  >Somerset
                  >UK

                  >>> 8 American Tree Sparrows

                  --
                  Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.org
                  Birding Classes in SF start Feb.8 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/

                  these addresses:

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290ji0bs/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1110068684/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.
                  netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                  :HM/A=2593423/rand=872599267>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • Lidia Seebeck
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4 10:54 PM
                    Just to make a few observations, from the point of view of a relatively
                    amateur birder, although I've been birding for most of my life on a hobby
                    level. I've also managed to get my husband into the fray and he is decidedly
                    amateur.

                    I should also mention that I also have a distinct "handicap"-- my son is not
                    quite two, and very active. Fortunately he also loves nature and the sounds
                    birds make.

                    I think we all can agree that the weather has been something quite unusual
                    these past few months. We've had numerous reports here in Southern
                    California of irruption birds such as Pine Siskin at low elevations. Some
                    things are normal, some are not. My husband saw an Osprey in Anaheim (local
                    birders know what I refer to, and yes, I double checked his observation)
                    which looked to be in relatively bad shape. I suspect that all the extra
                    rain has been affecting the food supplies of some birds.

                    That said, I would not be surprised if some migrations are occurring a
                    couple of weeks earlier or later than usual. Not much more than that, of
                    course, but a couple of weeks leeway in these truly unusual years might be
                    justified for some species.

                    I suppose this could also affect some of the ratios of some of the birds.
                    However, (nothing personal here) some of those observations probably could
                    use a second or third look. We're having an unusual year, but not
                    catastrophically so. And I've been seeing plenty of Amer. Wigeons... that is
                    one ratio that even I saw something odd about.

                    That said....

                    This list is a large one... but not everyone here is at advanced levels. We
                    have Kimball (et al) here, and we have relative amateurs as well. If indeed
                    we want to restrict this list to the truly extraordinary sightings such as
                    Puffins or Iceland Gulls, then we probably want to look at creating a sister
                    list where amateurs can chat about our sightings. For me, seeing an Osprey
                    is still a bit exciting. It may not be for others. Then again, for five
                    years seeing Scaled Quail was routine for me. I think we can all agree that
                    the world of ornithology is well served by new amateurs who gain knowledge
                    and proficiency. However, we cannot gain that proficiency by osmosis! Books
                    help, but so does listening to other birders describe the trends and
                    patterns. When the more experienced birders are willing to help and to
                    listen well, it helps us to gain confidence. I was at Bolsa Chica one day
                    last year on one of my first field walks out here in California, and came
                    across two wonderful ladies who helped me sort out a bunch of shorebirds
                    that I was not familiar with (being an inland birder has disadvantages). I
                    forget your names, but I have not forgotten your patience and kindness.

                    I'm willing to lurk and learn, to a large extent, but I also like to share
                    what I know. Let's not forget that we were all amateurs once, and we all
                    acquired knowledge of ornithology through time.

                    Lidia Seebeck
                    lidia@...