Tufted Duck at Vallejo and possible Kumlien's Iceland Gull at Milpitas continue

  • Martin Meyers
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2005
      On this rather dreary, overcast, drizzly day, I visited Hidden Lake Park in
      Milpitas, where the second-cycle gull thought to be Kumlien's Iceland Gull
      continued and was easy to find and study. (If not for the "do not feed the
      birds" signs, it probably would have been even easier.) I got a few photos,
      but the lack of sunshine kept them from being anything more than
      documentation. I'm not particularly experienced with Iceland Gulls, having
      seen only a few back east (and, perhaps, one or two at Nimbus Fish Hatchery
      in Sacramento over the years). I'm sure that if the current bird were to
      show up at a dump in New Jersey, it would garner little more than a passing
      "there's another Iceland Gull" comment. But for California, I guess I wish
      it had been a little less worn and bleached out. Sort of hard to tell how
      much of the very pale appearance is actual plumage coloration and how much
      is just due to bleaching. In direct comparison to several Thayer's Gulls
      present, the bill did look a bit smaller, and the head shape seemed
      reasonable for Kumlien's.

      Another gull at Hidden Lake looked like a pale-eyed adult Thayer's. I've
      read about such critters, but this is the first one I've gotten a good look
      at. (Unfortunately, photos didn't turn out well due to the lighting.)

      I then traveled to Vallejo (Dan Foley Park), where the adult male Tufted
      Duck was very obliging, posing for a few nice photos with his companion, a
      single Lesser Scaup.

      I put a few of the photos on my website, at
      http://meyersm.home.mindspring.com/Bay_Area/Bay_Area.html .

      Martin

      *
      * Martin Meyers