More on Kumlien's gull in Milpitas.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2005
      Hey folks

      I thought you may be interested in one person's opinion on this possible
      Kumlien's Gull in Milpitas. I contacted Bruce Mactavish of St. Johns,
      Newfoundland to give me an assessment of what he thought of the bird. The
      species is common in winter in Newfoundland and Bruce has written an article
      (with Steve Howell) on the identification of Kumlien's Gull. So he offers an
      experienced and valuable perspective on the issue, in short he likes it. A
      couple of the photos he sent were very much like the Milpitas bird. Here is
      what he wrote:

      "Alvaro,

      Your gull looks fine in every way for a 2nd winter Kumlien's. Though not
      sure what the pot belly would have to do with it.

      Attached are a couple 2nd w Kums from early Jan 2005. Some Kumlien's have
      quite dark outer primaries. In fact Kumlien's are at their darkest in 2nd
      winter. However, without fail there will be not be a dark secondary bar and
      tertials usually quite pale, in contrast to dark primaries.

      Bruce

      Bruce Mactavish"

      Cheers

      Al