Re: Kumlien's Iceland Gull

  • jennifer rycenga
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
      Birders -

      The bird which Alvaro saw and photographed yesterday
      continues today. It was sitting at the end of the wooden ramp at
      Hidden Lake Park in Milpitas. Here are a few observations on
      my part.

      The Kumlien's Gull candidate (KUGUcan?!) was noticeably
      lighter in its mantle than all the other second-year birds. There
      were a few second-year Thayer's Gulls around for comparison.
      The primaries had no brownish color, and the tertials had fine
      grey lines unlike anything I saw in the Thayer's or Herring Gulls
      (most easily seen in Alvaro's Photos 1 & 6). The bill was slightly
      smaller than the Thayer's, and dramatically smaller than the
      Herring Gulls, and definetly two-toned. The bird did not open its
      wings while I was there and had it in sight.

      Directions - from Calaveras Boulevard (CA237), go north on N.
      Milpitas. At Tramway, do a U-turn and pull into the parking lot for
      Hidden Lake (about 1/2 block south). The wooden dock is on
      the north side of the lake.

      Jennifer Rycenga
      Half Moon Bay, CA

      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Alvaro Jaramillo"
      <chucao@c...> wrote:
      > Birders
      >
      > Today I located a second year bird showing features
      consistent with a
      > Kumlien's (Iceland) Gull. The bird was at Hidden Lake,
      Milpitas, Santa Clara
      > County. The lake is on Milpitas Blvd, slightly south of Tramway.
      Here are
      > photos of the bird for those interested in what it looked like.
      >
      > http://www.birdsofchile.com/iceland.htm
      >
      > As always, comments welcome on the identification. I realize
      that Iceland
      > Gull sends shivers up the spines of some birder's, but this bird
      does look
      > OK.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Al