RFI: Camp for Teenager

  • Chuck & Lillian
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2005
      Our Audubon chapter is considering sponsoring a local teen (don't know who yet) to go to camp for a week this summer.
      We'd prefer it to be bird-oriented, but if not, then environmental or general nature.
      We're looking for something as much under $1000 as we can get and not too far away, preferably within California.
      Any suggestions?

      Chuck Almdale
      Santa Monica, CA

    • Bruce Webb
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2005
        The Summer Course list at the Sierra Nevada Field Campus of San Francisco
        State University shows four bird classes from June through July. The
        campus, situated six miles west of Yuba Pass along Highway 49 in Sierra
        County, is more like a summer camp . Species like Calliope Hummingbird,
        Evening Grosbeaks, American Dipper and White-headed Woodpecker occur right
        on the grounds.

        They list two classes on birdwatching and two on bird banding for the
        beginner. Accomodations (in Tents) and food are additional for the 5-day
        courses but should fit in your budget. Read all about it here:

        http://www.sfsu.edu/~sierra/

        I took the Butterflies of the Sierra Nevada course a couple years back and
        the place is great fun and the instructors for all courses are first rate.

        Bruce Webb
        BruceW@...
        www.Optics4Birding.com (for your optics needs)
        Proud supporter of www.owling.com