Re: [CALBIRDS] Mystery Accipiter!

  • Fred Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
      That is actually a Batting Cage, I quess. (ie Baseballs used for batting practice) That would make the Hawk about the right size to be a Coopers. The other question is did the hawk ever get extricated from the batting cage?

      Fred Baker, Temecula
      Always watching, rarely active
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
        Looks like a Sharp shinned hawk to me. Similar but smaller than Cooper's. Note pointy apprearance of
        tail feathers.
        su anderson
        corte madera, ca
        I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los
        Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like a Cooper's
        to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully tiny!
        John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit "reply
        all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo site under
        Raptors.

        Take care,

        Mary Beth Stowe
        San Diego, CA
        MiriamEagl@...
        _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)<http://www.miriameaglemon.com)/>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • John Girdley
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
          Susan,

          I'm the one who forwarded the Photo to Mary Beth for ID, The Bird is in a
          "Batting cage" so I guess that turns those golf balls into Baseballs.

          Being from the UK I had no idea until Fred Bakers response what a batting
          cage was.

          This gives a whole new perspective on size. Doesn't this make it a Coopers?

          John

          John Girdley

          www.worldbirder.com <http://www.worldbirder.com/>

          I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los
          Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like a
          Cooper's
          to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully
          tiny!
          John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit
          "reply
          all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo site
          under
          Raptors.

          Take care,

          Mary Beth Stowe
          San Diego, CA
          MiriamEagl@...
          _www.miriameaglemon.com_
          (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)<http://www.miriameaglemon.com)/>

          Website:

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

          Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dvn0n7/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1108250961/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kuh3qtk/*http:/clk.a
          tdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108164561140013>

          <http://view.atdmt.com/NFX/view/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=110816
          4561140013>

          :HM/A=2532114/rand=411213762>

          _____