Re: [CALBIRDS] Mystery Accipiter!

  • Fred Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11 8:37 AM
      That is actually a Batting Cage, I quess. (ie Baseballs used for batting practice) That would make the Hawk about the right size to be a Coopers. The other question is did the hawk ever get extricated from the batting cage?

      Fred Baker, Temecula
      Always watching, rarely active
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11 8:40 AM
        skinny legs, no contrast between crown and the rest of the upperparts,
        narrow white tip to tail, I'd say Sharp-shin.
        Cheers,
        Bruce Deuel
        Redding

        >>> <MiriamEagl@...> 02/11/05 7:53 AM >>>

        Hi, all!

        I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los

        Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like
        a Cooper's
        to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully
        tiny!
        John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit
        "reply
        all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo
        site under
        Raptors.

        Take care,

        Mary Beth Stowe
        San Diego, CA
        MiriamEagl@...
        _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        to these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • SUSAN ANDERSON
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11 2:58 PM
          Looks like a Sharp shinned hawk to me. Similar but smaller than Cooper's. Note pointy apprearance of
          tail feathers.
          su anderson
          corte madera, ca
          I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los
          Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like a Cooper's
          to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully tiny!
          John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit "reply
          all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo site under
          Raptors.

          Take care,

          Mary Beth Stowe
          San Diego, CA
          MiriamEagl@...
          _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)<http://www.miriameaglemon.com)/>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • John Girdley
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11 4:07 PM
            Susan,

            I'm the one who forwarded the Photo to Mary Beth for ID, The Bird is in a
            "Batting cage" so I guess that turns those golf balls into Baseballs.

            Being from the UK I had no idea until Fred Bakers response what a batting
            cage was.

            This gives a whole new perspective on size. Doesn't this make it a Coopers?

            John

            John Girdley

            www.worldbirder.com <http://www.worldbirder.com/>

            I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los
            Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like a
            Cooper's
            to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully
            tiny!
            John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit
            "reply
            all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo site
            under
            Raptors.

            Take care,

            Mary Beth Stowe
            San Diego, CA
            MiriamEagl@...
            _www.miriameaglemon.com_
            (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)<http://www.miriameaglemon.com)/>

            Website:

            these addresses:

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            these addresses:

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dvn0n7/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1108250961/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kuh3qtk/*http:/clk.a
            tdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108164561140013>

            <http://view.atdmt.com/NFX/view/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=110816
            4561140013>

            :HM/A=2532114/rand=411213762>

            _____