Mystery Accipiter!

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
      Hi, all!

      I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los
      Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like a Cooper's
      to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully tiny!
      John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit "reply
      all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo site under
      Raptors.

      Take care,

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...
      _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

    • Fred Baker
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
        That is actually a Batting Cage, I quess. (ie Baseballs used for batting practice) That would make the Hawk about the right size to be a Coopers. The other question is did the hawk ever get extricated from the batting cage?

        Fred Baker, Temecula
        Always watching, rarely active
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
          skinny legs, no contrast between crown and the rest of the upperparts,
          narrow white tip to tail, I'd say Sharp-shin.
          Cheers,
          Bruce Deuel
          Redding

          >>> <MiriamEagl@...> 02/11/05 7:53 AM >>>

          Hi, all!

          I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los

          Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like
          a Cooper's
          to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully
          tiny!
          John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit
          "reply
          all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo
          site under
          Raptors.

          Take care,

          Mary Beth Stowe
          San Diego, CA
          MiriamEagl@...
          _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

          Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
          to these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • SUSAN ANDERSON
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
            Looks like a Sharp shinned hawk to me. Similar but smaller than Cooper's. Note pointy apprearance of
            tail feathers.
            su anderson
            corte madera, ca
            I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los
            Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like a Cooper's
            to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully tiny!
            John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit "reply
            all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo site under
            Raptors.

            Take care,

            Mary Beth Stowe
            San Diego, CA
            MiriamEagl@...
            _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)<http://www.miriameaglemon.com)/>

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • John Girdley
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
              Susan,

              I'm the one who forwarded the Photo to Mary Beth for ID, The Bird is in a
              "Batting cage" so I guess that turns those golf balls into Baseballs.

              Being from the UK I had no idea until Fred Bakers response what a batting
              cage was.

              This gives a whole new perspective on size. Doesn't this make it a Coopers?

              John

              John Girdley

              www.worldbirder.com <http://www.worldbirder.com/>

              I've posted a photo taken by a friend of a friend that was taken in Los
              Angeles (he didn't have a date), who was unsure of its ID. Looks like a
              Cooper's
              to me, but if those are golf balls he's standing on, then he's awfully
              tiny!
              John would be interested in your views, so if you reply, please hit
              "reply
              all" in your response; thanks. The photo is on the Calbirds Yahoo site
              under
              Raptors.

              Take care,

              Mary Beth Stowe
              San Diego, CA
              MiriamEagl@...
              _www.miriameaglemon.com_
              (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)<http://www.miriameaglemon.com)/>

              Website:

              these addresses:

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

              Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

              these addresses:

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dvn0n7/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1108250961/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kuh3qtk/*http:/clk.a
              tdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108164561140013>

              <http://view.atdmt.com/NFX/view/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=110816
              4561140013>

              :HM/A=2532114/rand=411213762>

              _____