Maybe, just maybe, another Slaty-backed Gull.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2005
      Birders

      To make matters more interesting, a bird observed yesterday in Half Moon
      Bay, San Mateo, could be a first cycle Slaty-backed Gull. The identification
      of this age class is very problematic, particularly due to the great
      variation in Slaty-backed at this age. However, this bird was structurally
      unique (versus Westerns, Glaucous-wings and Herrings) and had features that
      suggest Slaty-backed. I would appreciate comments, yes negative ones even,
      on the tentative identification, particularly from those seeing Western
      Gulls in their home patch.

      http://www.birdsofchile.com/sbgu.htm

      Don't let the birds of Chile header confuse you... I need to make a new one
      for these ID pages!

      Cheers

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo