April Long Range Pelagic Out Of San Diego

  • Don DesJardin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2005
      There are still spaces available for the spring 2005 5-day pelagic
      trip aboard the "Searcher" out of San Diego on April 13-17, 2005.
      This multi-day trip is scheduled to visit the southern California
      offshore shelves and seamounts that are difficult to reach on single
      day trips. Special efforts will be made to find Pterodroma petrels,
      albatrosses, and tropicbirds, but a good variety of regular pelagic
      birds will also be encountered. We will travel north from San Diego
      and arrive in the Santa Barbara Channel the following morning. From
      there, we continue northwest until reaching the southern end of
      Arguello Canyon where we turn down-swell to the Rodriguez Seamount,
      San Juan Seamount, and points along and past the continental shelf.
      The exact itinerary will vary based on the leaders' and captain's
      judgments about bird abundance and weather conditions.

      Originally conceived in 2003 to maximize the chances of finding
      Murphy's Petrels in Southern California waters, on our maiden voyage
      in April of 2003 we located 66. Unfortunately, Murphy's was a no show
      in 2004 for the whole West Coast, so we had to settle for Cook's
      Petrel and Red-billed Tropicbird. Other possibilities include
      Stejneger's Petrel, Mottled Petrel. Dark-rumped Petrel, Bulwer's
      Petrel (1 in September 2003) and Red-tailed Tropicbird (1 in September
      2003). Complete species list for 2003 and 2004, charts showing trip
      routes, and passenger comments can be found at
      http://bajawhale.com/birdingtrips.html .

      The "Searcher" is a 95' vessel with excellent visibility from the main
      and upper decks, comfortable sleeping accommodations, hot showers, and
      a full galley, which is more than glad to accommodate any special
      dietary requirement.

      Although the primary focus will be on finding birds, a variety of
      marine mammals may also be encountered. Species observed in 2003
      included Blue Whale, Fin Whale, Humpback Whale, Sperm Whale, Baird's
      Beaked Whale, Orca, Short-beaked Common Dolphin, Long-beaked Common
      Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin, Pacific White-sided Dolphin, Northern
      Right-whale Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin, Northern Elephant Seal, Harbor
      Seal, California Sea Lion, and Guadalupe Fur Seal.

      Trip leaders for April will be Don DesJardin, Walter Wehtje, and Phil
      Unit of the San Diego Natural History Museum.

      Date of 2005 trip: Wednesday, April, 13-Sunday, April, 17. Departure
      is at noon the 13th and return at 8:00am the 17th.
      Cost: $750 (includes all food and beverages, excludes crew gratuity).

      **NOTE** The February issue of "Birding" will carry an article by
      Walter Wehtje entitled "Going Out Deep in Southern California. This
      article provides background on the history of deepwater pelagics out
      of Southern California and the reasons why Walter and I decided
      multi-day trips were the only way to maximize the chances of observing
      some of the rarer and scarce deep water pelagics in Southern California.

      For more information on this and future trips, feel free to contact me
      directly, or:

      Searcher Natural History Tours
      2838 Garrison Street
      San Diego, California 92106 USA