OR Hawk-Owl, Rosy-Finches, etc.

  • Steve Shunk
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2005
      Calbirders,
      Sorry for more Oregon birding info, but this is a much-requested
      informational post for California birders.

      A number of you have contacted me for details on the NORTHEN HAWK-OWL, and
      some have expressed interest in a large flock of accessible GRAY-CROWNED
      ROSY-FINCHES in the area. The flock was last seen Sunday at Smith Rocks
      State Park, a few miles north and east of Redmond. The park is probably 45
      minutes N of the Hawk-Owl spot; it's well signed and on most maps. Details
      on the birds are below.

      I've also attached the e-mail addresses of my fellow board members at the
      East Cascades Bird Conservancy. I am leaving town tomorrow, but these folks
      can help you with details on other birds in the area. A few of the winter
      birds being seen right now include: BLUE JAY, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK (lots),
      TRUMPETER SWAN, and NORTHERN SHRIKE. Check this link for details on some of
      these: http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/OBOL.html.

      If you do come to see the owl, I would appreciate you sending me the travel
      info I requested earlier. This includes: date, # of birders, total $$ spent
      on the trip, and place of origin.

      Thanks, and good luck!
      Steve Shunk

      --