Fwd: Hawk-Owl

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2005
      Hi all,
      I've been asked to forward the following regarding the Oregon
      Hawk-Owl.
      Bruce Deuel

      Hi Bruce,
      Thanks for passing this along.
      Steve
      Calbirders,
      I have been asked for directions to the NORTHERN HAWK-OWL currently
      being
      seen in SE Bend, OR. These are below. There are direct flights from SFO
      into
      RDM (Redmond airport) on United Express. The drive from Oakland takes
      about
      8 hours with gas and quick food stops. For more info on the bird, check
      OBOL
      at http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/OBOL.html. If you get lost
      or
      need more local details, call Diane and Peter at one of the two
      numbers
      below.

      This gorgeous bird has been seen well and daily by many birders for
      almost a
      week, but it may have been in the neighborhood for up to a month. The
      bird
      hangs out between the street (it has been photographed on the street
      sign
      described below) and the burned forest to the east. It has been seen at
      all
      times of day, and there are usually birders parked alongside the road
      in
      appropriate spots.

      If you come up, please respond to my earlier posting about your travel
      details and expenses for our birding economics files. If you didn't
      save the
      posting, let me know.
      Thanks!
      Steve Shunk

      FROM S HWY 97 (KLAMATH FALLS/WEED)
      Exit Hwy 97 at Knott Rd., S of Bend proper. Turn R (east) on Knott and
      take
      it a few miles until it bends to the N. Turn R (east) onto Rickard Rd,
      just
      before the landfill.

      FROM REDMOND AIRPORT
      Take Hwy 97 South, through most of Bend, to Reed Market Rd. Exit and
      turn L
      (east) onto Reed Market. Take Reed Market a few miles until it ends at
      27th
      Street. Turn R (south) on 27th, which later changes to Knott Rd and
      goes
      past the landfill. Just past the landfill turn L (east) onto Rickard
      Rd.

      FROM RICKARD/KNOTT ROADS JUNCTION ABOVE
      Follow Rickard Road for 1.8 miles and turn Right on Billadeau Road.
      After 1
      mile there will be a stop sign. Go straight. The road changes its name
      Horse Butte Rd. Follow this for 0.9 miles, turn left on Sweetgrass
      Drive.
      After 0.3 miles turn Right on Calgary. Stay on Calgary for 1.4 miles
      and
      turn left on Calgary LP. Drive 0.7 miles to the intersection of
      Calgary LP
      and Jasper. This is the intersection where the bird has been seen most
      often.

      The owl is in a residential neighborhood, so please be very mindful of
      parking, walking onto private property, etc. Some of the neighbors are
      very
      obliging, but others are not.

      If you would like more information call 541-382-6728, or 541-419-2148.
      happy birding,
      Diane Kook and Peter Low

      --

      Stephen Shunk