Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, Merganser Hybrid in Alameda County today

  • Martin Meyers
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2005
      The Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow put in a couple of appearances this
      morning at Arrowhead Marsh. It was at the right end of the triangular
      island at 8:30 a.m. for about 5 minutes, then appeared at the far left end
      of the island a bit after 9:00.
      Also at Arrowhead: Two "Eurasian" Green-winged Teal were at the first pond
      after turning onto Swan Way, as was an odd wigeon, perhaps American X
      Eurasian.

      The very weird "punk" hybrid Hooded Merganser X something-or-other was at
      Merritt Lake just east of the outlet. Try as I might, I could not locate
      any Tufted Ducks among the multitude of scaup at the other end. But it sure
      was a beautiful day to walk around the lake.

      I've posted some photos of the sparrow, hybrid Merganser, and some
      Goldeneyes and Canvasbacks from today's walk on my website at
      http://meyersm.home.mindspring.com/Oakland/Oakland.html

      Martin

      *
      * Martin Meyers