Dawson Saddle, Angeles Crest Highway

  • Ed Stonick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2001
      My son Greg and I hiked the 2.5 mile trail from Dawson Saddle (on the Angeles Crest Highway) to Throop Peak today from about 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There were quite a few birds along the way. We saw a Red-breasted Sapsucker not far from the trail's start and a total of 5 Williamson's Sapsuckers. There was a male and two juveniles about one mile from the trailhead, and another male and juvenile just south of the summit of Throop's Peak.

      Also, at the one-mile mark were a pair of Red Crossbills and a nest. The nest is in a 35-40 ft. White Fir on the left side of the trail. It's right after the trail curves to the right (with two large logs on the left side of the trail) and the forest is more open with scrubby manzanita on the ground).

      In addition, there were many of the usual montane species (Clark's Nutcracker, Cassin's Finch, Western Bluebird, Pygmy and White-breasted Nuthatch, Juncos, Yellow-rumps) and lots of juveniles. There was one tail-wagging empid that I'm assuming was proabably a Dusky. It's a gorgeous hike even without the birds! You climb from 7900 ft. to 9100 ft.

      Regards,
      Ed

      [Ed Stonick]
      stonicks@...