Horned Puffins washing up off northern Calif

  • tertial
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      I'm hearing from the Gulf of the Farallons BeachWatch folks that they
      have found a few dead HORNED PUFFINS lately. One was Dec 20 at
      Limantour (Pt Reyes), and two this past weekend (one at Pt Reyes, and
      I'm not sure about the other, but it would have to be somewhere in
      the vicinity). One of the birds this weekend was oiled. I suppose
      there could be some live ones near shore.

      Dead Horned Puffins were found in small numbers in Oregon in
      January.

      I don't know about the ages of the birds. Last year, when tens of
      thousands of Fulmars washed up from San Diego to Washington, 99% (in
      one very large sample from Monterey Bay) were juveniles.

      all for now,

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA
    • Steve Abbott
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Steve and all,

        The following was posted to the East Bay Birds listserv on Jan 27th:

        "I work at Lindsay Wildlife Museum, a friend of mine thought that the people
        on this list might be interested to know that a Horned Puffin came into our
        wildlife hospital about 2 weeks ago. I don't know very much about it, it was
        left in the night box at animal control. The bird seemed to be healthy and
        was transfered to a facility in Solono county that handles sea birds. It
        came in during the storms we had so maybe was blown of course? We don't
        know.

        -Jackie Vaughan"

        Interesting.....eh?

        ________________________________

        Steve Abbott
        Placerville, CA
        ________________________________

        @*@

        ,---------------,,,,.._{ i }_..,,,,---------------,

        \-..____....-----""" \ / """-----..____..-/

        ;___,.----"""""{l}"""""----.,___,:

        {l}

        {l}

        {l}

        {l}

        {l}

        {}

        "

        I'm hearing from the Gulf of the Farallons BeachWatch folks that they
        have found a few dead HORNED PUFFINS lately. One was Dec 20 at
        Limantour (Pt Reyes), and two this past weekend (one at Pt Reyes, and
        I'm not sure about the other, but it would have to be somewhere in
        the vicinity). One of the birds this weekend was oiled. I suppose
        there could be some live ones near shore.

        Dead Horned Puffins were found in small numbers in Oregon in
        January.

        I don't know about the ages of the birds. Last year, when tens of
        thousands of Fulmars washed up from San Diego to Washington, 99% (in
        one very large sample from Monterey Bay) were juveniles.

        all for now,

        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA

        these addresses: