Yellow-chevroned Parakeets

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Birders:

      I greatly appreciate the efforts of those who have been sending me
      sightings of Brotogeris parakeets in California (all reports so far this
      year have been of Yellow-chevroneds, with no White-wingeds). I already
      have 37 sightings in the 2005 database from January alone. In another
      month or so I'll post a summary of the sightings I've received to date.

      Surprisingly, I've received no reports from outside of Los Angeles
      County, except for a single report from San Francisco. I've also
      received no reports from the southern part of Los Angeles County (and
      adjacent Orange County), where populations were apparently thriving
      earlier. Assuming that an occasional reminder might result in more
      thorough reporting, I once again ask for reports of all sightings of
      Yellow-chevroned and White-winged Parakeets in California during 2005.

      An outline of the data I'm requesting is repeated below. Please forward
      this to relevant local listserves (e.g. in Orange County).

      Thanks,

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.

      Los Angeles CA 90007

      (213) 763-3368

      (213) 746-2999 FAX

      kgarrett@...

      During the calendar year 2005, please e-mail me sightings of
      Yellow-chevroned Parakeets (and of White-winged Parakeets if you run
      across any) in the following format:

      YOUR NAME/CONTACT INFO [presumably in e-mail signature]

      SPECIES: Yellow-chevroned Parakeet [or....]

      DATE:

      TIME OF DAY:

      EXACT LOCATION [be specific - street intersection or address, park name,
      etc.]

      NUMBER OF BIRDS IN FLOCK:

      FLYING? DIRECTION?

      FEEDING? [TREE SPECIES? FOOD TYPE?]

      NESTING? [give details]

      OTHER BEHAVIOR:

      ANY OTHER NOTES OF INTEREST:

      DOCUMENTATION [If you can obtain photos, feel free to send them]

      Please DO NOT e-mail me directly with routine sightings of other parrots

      - you can continue reporting them through the California Parrot Project
      web site:

      http://natureali.org/parrot_project/Parrot_Project.html