Slaty-backed Gull in Half Moon bay (pictures this time).

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2005
      Hello folks,

      Sorry about the cross posting. I put the word out on the local groups this
      afternoon of a possible Slaty-backed Gull (second winter) today in Half Moon
      Bay, San Mateo County. I don't want to say I am certain that it is one, but
      I am as close as you can be to certain, so I am copying in Calbirds in case
      some of you folks from further afiled are interested in chasing this one.

      Here are pictures and comments on the bird:

      http://www.coastside.net/chucao/gulls/Slatyback.htm

      The bird is at Venice Beach, in Half moon Bay.

      http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=531

      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=addre
      ss&searchtype=address&cat=&address=%5b1%2d599%5d%20Venice%20Blvd&city=Half%2
      0Moon%20Bay&state=CA&zipcode=94019&searchtab=home

      From hwy 1 and 92, go north on hwy 1 past Wave, to Venice Boulevard and turn
      left towards the ocean. This is before reaching Frenchman's Creek Road, or
      the horse stables on the ocean side of the highway. Take Venice, a dirt
      road, to the end. At the entrance booth, turn right and park in the big
      parking lot there. Both Pilarcitos and Frenchman's Creeks enter the ocean at
      this site and thousands of gulls are often here bathing. The Slaty-back was
      right opposite the parking lot, in a smaller group of gulls at 3 pm today.
      It was there until about 5 when it flew south and landed in the big mess of
      2000 plus gulls and could not be relocated although it was sunset by this
      time.

      Good luck, and I welcome comments on the identification of the bird. It's a
      gull, so there is likely going to be some discussion.

      Cheers

      Alvaro Jaramillo
      chucao@...
      Half Moon Bay, CA