RE: [CALBIRDS] Where are the Red-throated Loons?

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2005
      Gary

      Maybe a bit of bad luck, and a bit of bad weather. I have not been seeing
      as many Red-throats as there usually hare in HMB at this time of year but I
      have been chalking it up to poor weather. Either rain and visibility or
      swell and waves, which can make loon watching problematic. One thing to keep
      in mind with the Red-throated is that it is often right at or just beyond
      the surf line. It likes to be close to shore, but not in protected waters
      necessarily. I often see them while walking my dogs from the end of Redondo
      Beach Road, which is off hwy 1 just south of the main part of Half Moon Bay.
      I did see one today, but that is no guarantee that there will be one there
      tomorrow, they do seem to move around. Look from the cliff, and keep your
      eyes out just beyond the surf line, often closer than the Western Grebes.

      Good luck.

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo
      chucao@...
      Half Moon Bay, CA

      Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
      http://www.fieldguides.com/home.htm

    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2005
        I haven't been out on a boat in a year, but on the shore in bays etc, I haven't seen them this year, either.
        Tom

        > From: "ghantsbarger" <ghantsbarger@...>
        > Date: 2005/01/12 Wed PM 07:41:11 CST
        > To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [CALBIRDS] Where are the Red-throated Loons?
        >

        > This winter I have been trying to add the Red-throated Loon to my
        > life list. The birding guides I have indicate that they should be
        > common in my area. I have been to Point Reyes, Bodega Harbor, and
        > various points along the San Mateo coast, and I have looked at a
        > couple dozen Common and Pacific Loons, scores of Horned, Eared, and
        > Western Grebes, and what seems like about 10,000 cormorants, but have
        > yet to definitely locate a Red-throated Loon. (One time at the north
        > end of Bodega Harbor I thought I saw a smallish, light-colored loon
        > with an upturned bill and a speckled back, but it dived about half a
        > second after I saw it, and I never saw it come back up, even though I
        > waited several minutes.)
        >
        > This makes me curious. Is there something going on here besides my
        > own bad luck? Are Red-throated Loons less common than usual along
        > the central California coast this year? If so, does anyone know
        > why? Has the population suddenly declined? Are they spending the
        > winter somewhere farther north or south than usual this year?
        >
        > On the other hand, maybe I just haven't been looking for them the
        > right way. If so, does anyone have any tips?
        >
        > Gary Hantsbarger
        > San Mateo, California

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

        thomas.miko@...
        thomas_miko@...

        653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
        Claremont, CA 91711
        U.S.A.
        34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

        home: (909) 445-1456
        page: (310) 366-9990
        cell: (626) 390-1935

        FRS radio channel 11 code 22

        thomas_miko@...

        http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      • scre@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2005
          As Al Jaramillo already pointed out Red-throated Loon is a nearshore species,
          often being found within the breakers. Also generally anywhere I have
          scanned offshore I have seen typical if not higher numbers in some areas. These
          areas that I was actually looking for loons included Santa Cruz, Monterey,
          Orange, LA, and Ventura Counties.

          David Vander Pluym
          Santa Cruz, Ca

        • Kenneth Burton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2005
            Several were visible from Alamere Falls on Point Reyes this afternoon. I would expect them to be off Limantour as well.

            Ken Burton
            Mill Valley