Where are the Red-throated Loons?

  • ghantsbarger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2005
      This winter I have been trying to add the Red-throated Loon to my
      life list. The birding guides I have indicate that they should be
      common in my area. I have been to Point Reyes, Bodega Harbor, and
      various points along the San Mateo coast, and I have looked at a
      couple dozen Common and Pacific Loons, scores of Horned, Eared, and
      Western Grebes, and what seems like about 10,000 cormorants, but have
      yet to definitely locate a Red-throated Loon. (One time at the north
      end of Bodega Harbor I thought I saw a smallish, light-colored loon
      with an upturned bill and a speckled back, but it dived about half a
      second after I saw it, and I never saw it come back up, even though I
      waited several minutes.)

      This makes me curious. Is there something going on here besides my
      own bad luck? Are Red-throated Loons less common than usual along
      the central California coast this year? If so, does anyone know
      why? Has the population suddenly declined? Are they spending the
      winter somewhere farther north or south than usual this year?

      On the other hand, maybe I just haven't been looking for them the
      right way. If so, does anyone have any tips?

      Gary Hantsbarger
      San Mateo, California
    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2005
        Gary

        Maybe a bit of bad luck, and a bit of bad weather. I have not been seeing
        as many Red-throats as there usually hare in HMB at this time of year but I
        have been chalking it up to poor weather. Either rain and visibility or
        swell and waves, which can make loon watching problematic. One thing to keep
        in mind with the Red-throated is that it is often right at or just beyond
        the surf line. It likes to be close to shore, but not in protected waters
        necessarily. I often see them while walking my dogs from the end of Redondo
        Beach Road, which is off hwy 1 just south of the main part of Half Moon Bay.
        I did see one today, but that is no guarantee that there will be one there
        tomorrow, they do seem to move around. Look from the cliff, and keep your
        eyes out just beyond the surf line, often closer than the Western Grebes.

        Good luck.

        Al

        Alvaro Jaramillo
        chucao@...
        Half Moon Bay, CA

        Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
        http://www.fieldguides.com/home.htm

      • Thomas Miko
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2005
          I haven't been out on a boat in a year, but on the shore in bays etc, I haven't seen them this year, either.
          Tom

          > From: "ghantsbarger" <ghantsbarger@...>
          > Date: 2005/01/12 Wed PM 07:41:11 CST
          > To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [CALBIRDS] Where are the Red-throated Loons?
          >

          > This winter I have been trying to add the Red-throated Loon to my
          > life list. The birding guides I have indicate that they should be
          > common in my area. I have been to Point Reyes, Bodega Harbor, and
          > various points along the San Mateo coast, and I have looked at a
          > couple dozen Common and Pacific Loons, scores of Horned, Eared, and
          > Western Grebes, and what seems like about 10,000 cormorants, but have
          > yet to definitely locate a Red-throated Loon. (One time at the north
          > end of Bodega Harbor I thought I saw a smallish, light-colored loon
          > with an upturned bill and a speckled back, but it dived about half a
          > second after I saw it, and I never saw it come back up, even though I
          > waited several minutes.)
          >
          > This makes me curious. Is there something going on here besides my
          > own bad luck? Are Red-throated Loons less common than usual along
          > the central California coast this year? If so, does anyone know
          > why? Has the population suddenly declined? Are they spending the
          > winter somewhere farther north or south than usual this year?
          >
          > On the other hand, maybe I just haven't been looking for them the
          > right way. If so, does anyone have any tips?
          >
          > Gary Hantsbarger
          > San Mateo, California

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

          thomas.miko@...
          thomas_miko@...

          653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
          Claremont, CA 91711
          U.S.A.
          34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

          home: (909) 445-1456
          page: (310) 366-9990
          cell: (626) 390-1935

          FRS radio channel 11 code 22

          thomas_miko@...

          http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
        • scre@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2005
            As Al Jaramillo already pointed out Red-throated Loon is a nearshore species,
            often being found within the breakers. Also generally anywhere I have
            scanned offshore I have seen typical if not higher numbers in some areas. These
            areas that I was actually looking for loons included Santa Cruz, Monterey,
            Orange, LA, and Ventura Counties.

            David Vander Pluym
            Santa Cruz, Ca

          • Kenneth Burton
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13, 2005
              Several were visible from Alamere Falls on Point Reyes this afternoon. I would expect them to be off Limantour as well.

              Ken Burton
              Mill Valley