Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow @ Corte Madera Marsh

  • mr_storey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2005
      Today I saw a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow at Corte Madera Marsh. I
      have posted pictures of the Sparrow to my website at
      http://www.ronstorey.com/CorteMadera10905 for your viewing. The
      pictures were taken shortly after the peak of high tide. I do have
      to admit that I was not the first to see the bird, as there were two
      other gentlemen who saw the bird and told me they thought they may
      have seen a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, but they could not
      positively identify the bird as it popped up and back down into a
      bush before they could get a positive identification. The two
      gentlemen moved on to other another area in search of Black Rail,
      which would have been a "Life Lister" for one of them. I decided to
      wait to photograph some of the other birds that were starting to
      appear when the Sparrow popped up on a bush immediately in front of
      me. Talk about luck - I am near-sighted and I did not have my
      binoculars with me. I was soon joined by two other gentlemen (Bill
      and Mike - no last names given) who helped me to photograph the bird
      in telling me the position of the bird in the bushes - thank you
      both. : )

      Ron Storey
      Petaluma, CA
      http://www.ronstorey.com