Reminder - Antelope Valley Hawk Banding Trip

  • CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2005

      Antelope Valley Hawk Banding Trip

      Date: Sunday, January 23, 2005
      Time: 7:00AM - 2:00PM PST (GMT-08:00)

      (This trip is sponsored by Sea & Sage Audubon.) In the fall and
      winter months, migratory raptors flood into the Antelope Valley
      and upper desert regions. Red-tailed Hawks are a sure bet with
      many others such as Prairie Falcons, Rough-legged and
      Ferruginous Hawks, American Kestrels, Northern Harriers, and
      even Golden Eagles. For this trip, Pete Bloom & Scott Thomas
      will be assisted by Doug Toohey who will help the group spot
      flying & perched raptors while Pete and Scott are out checking
      the traps for raptors to band. Unlike most birding trips, this
      one offers close-up views of the raptors. Very early risers may
      see owls before the trip begins.

      DIRECTIONS: We will meet at Ave. A and Hwy. 14 in the Antelope
      Valley. From Orange County, take the #5 Frwy. north to #14
      (Antelope Valley Frwy.); exit on #14 & drive north
      approximately 45 miles (thru Lancaster) until you reach Ave. A.
      Turn left on Ave. A & park.

      DRESS WARMLY. bring your lunch, a map, and a full tank of gas.
      We will be out until at least 2:00, rain or shine.

      Trip Leaders: Pete Bloom, Scott Thomas, & Doug Toohey
      Trip Coordinator: Nancy Kenyon; 949-786-3160; kenyon@...
    • CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005

        Antelope Valley Hawk Banding Trip