Long Range Pelagic

  • Don DesJardin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2005
      Third Annual Murphy's Petrel Pelagic Trip

      There are still spaces available for the spring 2005 5-day pelagic
      trip aboard the "Searcher" out of San Diego on April 13-17, 2005.
      This multi-day trip is scheduled to visit the southern California
      offshore shelves and seamounts that are difficult to reach on single
      day trips. Special efforts will be made to find Pterodroma petrels,
      albatrosses, and tropicbirds, but a good variety of regular pelagic
      birds will also be encountered. We will travel north from San Diego
      and arrive in the Santa Barbara Channel the following morning. From
      there, we continue northwest until reaching the southern end of
      Arguello Canyon where we turn down-swell to the Rodriguez Seamount,
      San Juan Seamount, and points along and past the continental shelf.
      The exact itinerary will vary based on the leaders' and captain's
      judgments about bird abundance and weather conditions.

      Originally conceived in 2003 to maximize the chances of finding
      Murphy's Petrels in Southern California waters, on our maiden voyage
      in April of 2003 we located 66. Unfortunately, Murphy's was a no show
      in 2004 for the whole West Coast, so we had to settle for Cook's
      Petrel and Red-billed Tropicbird. Other possibilities include
      Stejneger's Petrel, Mottled Petrel. Dark-rumped Petrel, Bulwer's
      Petrel (1 in September 2003) and Red-tailed Tropicbird (1 in September
      2003). Complete species list for 2003 and 2004, charts showing trip
      routes, and passenger comments can be found at
      http://bajawhale.com/birdingtrips.html .

      The "Searcher" is a 95' vessel with excellent visibility from the main
      and upper decks, comfortable sleeping accommodations, hot showers, and
      a full galley, which is more than glad to accommodate any special
      dietary requirement.

      Although the primary focus will be on finding birds, a variety of
      marine mammals may also be encountered. Species observed in 2003
      included Blue Whale, Fin Whale, Humpback Whale, Sperm Whale, Baird's
      Beaked Whale, Orca, Short-beaked Common Dolphin, Long-beaked Common
      Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin, Pacific White-sided Dolphin, Northern
      Right-whale Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin, Northern Elephant Seal, Harbor
      Seal, California Sea Lion, and Guadalupe Fur Seal.

      Trip leaders for April will be Don DesJardin, Walter Wehtje, and Phil
      Unit of the San Diego Natural History Museum.

      Date of 2005 trip: Wednesday, April, 13-Sunday, April, 17. Departure
      is at noon the 13th and return at 8:00am the 17th.
      Cost: $750 (includes all food and beverages, excludes crew gratuity).

      **NOTE** The February issue of "Birding" will carry an article by
      Walter Wehtje entitled "Going Out Deep in Southern California. This
      article provides background on the history of deepwater pelagics out
      of Southern California and the reasons why Walter and I decided
      multi-day trips were the only way to maximize the chances of observing
      some of the rarer and scarce deep water pelagics in Southern California.

      For more information on this and future trips, feel free to contact me
      directly, or:

      Searcher Natural History Tours
      2838 Garrison Street
      San Diego, California 92106 USA
      Phone: (619) 226-2403
      Fax: (619) 226-1332
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2006
        Spring 2006 Searcher Pelagic Trip

        Please join us for a 5-day pelagic trip out of San Diego on April 26-
        30. During the previous three years we've had good looks on every
        trip of such difficult west coast specialties as Laysan Albatross,
        Black Storm-petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, and Xantus' Murrelet.
        We've found multiple Murphy's Petrels on three of our four trips.
        We've had a few Cook's Petrels during the spring, although our
        September trip is more reliable for that species.

        Other expected species include Black-footed Albatross, Northern
        Fulmar, Pink-footed Shearwater, Sooty Shearwater, Short-tailed
        Shearwater, Black-vented Shearwater, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-
        Petrel, Red-necked Phalarope, Red Phalarope, Pomarine Jaeger,
        Parasitic Jaeger, Long-tailed Jaeger, Sabine's Gull, Black-legged
        Kittiwake, Arctic Tern, Common Murre, Xantus' Murrelet (scrippsi),
        Cassin's Auklet, and Rhinoceros Auklet. We've also found Manx
        Shearwater and Flesh-footed Shearwater during these trips.

        We bird offshore at the extreme southwestern corner of the ABA area.
        We visit the California Channel Islands, Point Conception, Rodriquez
        Dome, San Juan Seamount, Cortez Bank and deep water beyond the
        continental shelf. On our last day, we often edge into Mexican
        waters, so this is an opportunity to add to your Mexico list.

        We've had impressive numbers of whales on these tours, including
        sperm, mesoplodon, ziphius, humpback, blue, and fin. We've also seen
        Orca, bottlenose, long-beaked common, short-beaked common, northern
        right-whale, Risso's, Pacific white-sided dolphins and Dall's
        porpoises. Other marine mammals include California Sea-lion,
        Guadalupe fur seal, northern fur seal, northern elephant seal, and
        harbor seal.

        Using the 95-foot live-aboard "Searcher," we limit our trips to 29
        passengers and 4 leaders. The boat provides 2-3 person cabins,
        showers and three excellent meals a day. Our leaders for this trip
        are Walter Wehtje, Todd McGrath, David Compton and a special mystery
        leader to be announced next week. Todd McGrath has several hundred
        days experience leading pelagic trips on the Pacific and Atlantic
        coasts, Walter Wehtje has led pelagic trips in Southern California
        for more than 10 years, and David Compton is a very experienced
        birder from Santa Barbara, and a member of the California Bird
        Records Committee.

        We will travel north from San Diego and arrive in the Santa Barbara
        Channel the following morning. After spending a day in the Santa
        Barbara Channel, we overnight at Point Conception, and head out
        towards deep water the following morning. We travel to Rodriguez
        Seamount, San Juan Seamount, and points along and past the
        continental shelf. The exact itinerary will vary based on the
        leaders' and captain's judgments about bird abundance and weather
        conditions.

        Additional information and trip lists are at
        http://www.bajawhale.com/birdingtrips.html.

        Date of 2006 trips: April 26-30, September 4-8
        Cost: $850 (includes all food and beverages, excludes crew gratuity).