Re: [CALBIRDS] Status of Mute Swan in CA

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hello all,

      In Contra Costa County there has been a resident flock of Mute Swans
      for nearly 10 years that frequents the marshes north of Concord, usually on
      military property. To the best of my knowledge, this flock had consistently
      numbered about 10 individuals. I was surprised to find, on a recent CBC that
      allowed me access to this property, that there are now almost 50 birds present.
      This small group has often been misidentified by some counters who
      were unaware of the need to carefully check all white swans for possible Mutes.
      Further, as groups such as these continue to grow in number it will begin to
      cast doubt upon distant swan flocks flying over unusual locations, i.e. over
      coastal sites, if Mutes can't be ruled out.

      Steve Glover
      Dublin

    • Ron Storey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
        At one of our latest censuses at Shollenberger Park in Petaluma we counted
        27 Mute Swans. As far as I am concerned this is a significant problem. If
        anyone knows of a legal solution that can be sought please let me know.

        Ron Storey
        Petaluma, CA
        ronstorey@...
        http://www.ronstorey.com/