Re: [CALBIRDS] Status of Mute Swan in CA

  • dougshawbirder@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hi All,

      The Mute Swan population has been growing in Sonoma County at
      Shollenberger Park in Petaluma. A few years back there were 1-2 swans present. Last I
      knew there were 7 Mute Swans at the park.

      Doug Shaw
      Santa Rosa, CA

    • Marcus England
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
        Should the species begin a noticeable expansion in California, I would hope
        that perhaps CDFG could at least attempt to initiate a control program
        early. As alluded to already, the species has become a major pest in the
        east, often displacing native waterfowl through aggressive behavior,
        sometimes even killing native waterfowl species. Early spring 2003 I was at
        a marsh along Lake Erie in northern Ohio that had quite a few Mute Swans on
        it and actually witnessed a swan kill a Canada Goose without provocation.
        The swan "jumped" off a muskrat mound onto a swimming goose below, submerged
        it, and just pummeled it to death with its bill. not that the loss of a
        Canada Goose (AKA Skycarp) in Ohio is a big deal, but such attacks have been
        witnessed by many and there is ample evidence of decreased local waterfowl
        species diversity associated with the presence of Mute Swans.

        -Marcus

        ______________________________________

        Marcus C. England | Consulting Biologist
        Natural Resource Consultants
        Laguna Beach, CA

        personal website: http://www.calbirds.com

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
          Calbirders:

          It is clear that small numbers of Mute Swans occur throughout California
          (mainly in coastal counties) and that a few pairs breed locally
          (particularly in Marin Co. and elsewhere in the north Bay Area).
          Free-flying birds can be seen almost anywhere and occasionally cause
          confusion by being identified as Tundra or Trumpeter Swans.

          It is currently the opinion of the CBRC's Introduced Birds Subcommittee
          that Mute Swan populations in California are not large enough, nor have
          any of the small populations persisted long enough (except perhaps in
          Marin Co.), to warrant consideration of the species on the state list as
          an established exotic.

          As most of you are aware, the USFWS has been prevented from eradicating
          or otherwise controlling naturalized Mute Swan populations (which are
          doing considerable ecological damage on the Atlantic coast, etc.) by a
          court ruling that the Migratory Bird Treaty Act applied to all swans.
          [Once again, certain misguided animal rights groups were successful in
          pushing an anti-environment agenda]. Thankfully, things are looking
          more hopeful, as an amendment to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act was
          published in yesterday's (4 January 2005) Federal Register that
          explicitly excludes Mute Swans and other non-native species from MBTA
          protection. Not wanting to clutter up Calbirds, I haven't pasted the
          entire text from the Federal Register below, but interested parties can
          check the Federal Register announcement on their own (sorry, I don't
          have a link handy).

          Below is just a SMALL PORTION of the Federal Register text; your
          comments in support of this amendment (see procedure below) would be
          helpful.

          Published in the Federal Register today (4 January 2005), pursuant to
          legislative mandate: the USFWS proposed list of bird species to be
          EXCLUDED under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

          The legislative mandate is that provision of the FY2005 Omnibus
          Appropriations Act that incorporates what was HR4114, a bill introduced
          by Wayne Gilchrest (R-MD) to amend the Migratory Bird Treaty Act so as
          to exclude non-native species. That legislation directed the USFWS to
          publish "Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this
          section....a list of all nonnative, human-introduced bird species to
          which the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16 U.S.C. 703 et seq.) does not
          apply." Said legislation in turn being a response to the decision of a
          federal appellate court that under the terms of the Migratory Bird
          Treaty with Canada and in the absence of regulation by the USFWS to the
          contrary, Mute Swans could not be excluded from MBTA protection. The
          Congress responded by amending the MBTA to provide that:
          (1) IN GENERAL- This Act applies only to migratory bird species that are
          native to the United States or its territories.
          (2) NATIVE TO THE UNITED STATES DEFINED
          (A) IN GENERAL- Subject to subparagraph (B), in this subsection the term
          `native to the United States or its territories' means occurring in the
          United States or its territories as the result of natural biological or
          ecological processes.
          (B) TREATMENT OF INTRODUCED SPECIES- For purposes of paragraph (1), a
          migratory bird species that occurs in the United States or its
          territories solely as a result of intentional or unintentional
          human-assisted introduction shall not be considered native to the United
          States or its territories unless--
          (i) it was native to the United States or its territories and extant in
          1918;
          (ii) it was extirpated after 1918 throughout its range in the United
          States and its territories; and
          (iii) after such extirpation, it was reintroduced in the United States
          or its territories as a part of a program carried out by a Federal
          agency.'.

          COMMENTS DUE ON OR BEFORE 3 FEBRUARY 2005.

          Mail public comments to Chief, Division of Migratory Bird Management,
          U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 4401 North Fairfax Drive, Mail Stop
          4107, Arlington, VA 22203.

          E-mail comments to nonnativebirds@...
          <mailto:nonnativebirds@...>. E-mail comments should be submitted as
          an ASCII file with Nonnative Birds in the subject line. Avoid the use of
          special characters and any form of encryption.

          -- Kimball

          Kimball L. Garrett
          Ornithology Collections Manager
          900 Exposition Blvd.
          Los Angeles CA 90007
          (213) 763-3368
          (213) 746-2999 FAX
          kgarrett@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
            Hello all,

            In Contra Costa County there has been a resident flock of Mute Swans
            for nearly 10 years that frequents the marshes north of Concord, usually on
            military property. To the best of my knowledge, this flock had consistently
            numbered about 10 individuals. I was surprised to find, on a recent CBC that
            allowed me access to this property, that there are now almost 50 birds present.
            This small group has often been misidentified by some counters who
            were unaware of the need to carefully check all white swans for possible Mutes.
            Further, as groups such as these continue to grow in number it will begin to
            cast doubt upon distant swan flocks flying over unusual locations, i.e. over
            coastal sites, if Mutes can't be ruled out.

            Steve Glover
            Dublin

          • Ron Storey
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
              At one of our latest censuses at Shollenberger Park in Petaluma we counted
              27 Mute Swans. As far as I am concerned this is a significant problem. If
              anyone knows of a legal solution that can be sought please let me know.

              Ron Storey
              Petaluma, CA
              ronstorey@...
              http://www.ronstorey.com/

              The Mute Swan population has been growing in Sonoma County at
              Shollenberger Park in Petaluma. A few years back there were 1-2 swans
              present. Last I
              knew there were 7 Mute Swans at the park.

              Doug Shaw
              Santa Rosa, CA

              these addresses:

              Yahoo! Groups Links