PALM or POCKET-PC or Handheld PC birding SW recommendations?

  • lmfwric
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi Steve and all,

      I'm looking for the best integrated system for logging on a handheld
      or palmtop. What do y'all use?

      Al Knoll (Sacramento)
    • David Coursey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
        I use Jerry Blinn¹s AviSys and am much happier with it than the Thayer
        software I used previously. There are features I¹d like to see added,
        including weather and more field journal and trip journal support. I would
        rate the program overall as very good. It gets the job done and mostly stays
        out of the way. The program is not difficult to use but it does take a
        couple of hours to learn.

        The Palm support works just fine but hasn¹t been as useful as I¹d hoped. My
        habit it to log on paper in the field and transfer when I get home over to
        the PC. The Palm software would be useful if I needed to be away from home
        for a while.

        From: lmfwric <al_knoll@...>
        Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:54:25 -0000
        To: <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [CALBIRDS] PALM or POCKET-PC or Handheld PC birding SW
        recommendations?

        Hi Steve and all,

        I'm looking for the best integrated system for logging on a handheld
        or palmtop. What do y'all use?

        Al Knoll (Sacramento)

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        *
        *
        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • katesnap@sonic.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
          I use "Bird in the Hand", downloadable from the net. It would be perfect
          if it automatically alphabetized the list while in the field. It
          autoprompts species, counts and totals species and their numbers, allows
          for unlimited trips. Also has included Life Listing. Interfaces with
          desktop. Nice printouts to submit to the CBC leader. ;-)
          $50.
          Kate