Redwing in Olympia, Washington

  • ROPOUCHER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2004
      Although a bit far afield of CalBirds' normal approved topics, this is
      possibly of great interest to some: Apparent first west coast record. Reports on
      this bird are coming in continuously at Tweeters (google it), the
      Calbird of Washington State.

      Subject: Redwing at Olympia today 12-23
      From: "Ruth Sullivan" <godwit AT worldnet.att.net>
      Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:14:02 -0800

      Hello Tweets,

      Today the Redwing was again well observed at Olympia by many,many birders

      beginning at 10am near 4th Ave. until at least 3:15pm,where we last observed

      the bird along Cushing Street,which connects between 4th Ave. and Harrison
      Ave.

      The bird was first located by an Enumclaw birder with his son,then by way of

      FRS radios other birders quickly fled to the location,as we all stood with
      our

      spotting scopes watching the bird in a willow tee along 4th Ave.. The bird
      was

      very visible at times in a somewhat limited area between Decatur and Cushing

      Streets and along 4th Ave.,but was most readily observed at a residence at
      the

      south corner of Decatur Street and 4th Ave.,then along Cushing Street and an

      associating alley immediately east of that street. The largest crowds of

      birders were noted just before 10am,then when the bird was first located for

      the day we all raced to the location along 4th Ave.,where the bird was observ
      ed

      perched in a willow tree for approximately 15 minutes until it flew down into

      nearby backyard from that same location. By this time everyone that had

      previously been walking the side streets,etc beginning shortly after 8am had

      seen the bird,but several of us remained watching the bird through the

      afternoon. When the bird was in Holly trees it seemed quite difficult to

      locate,as it often concealed itself deeper in the tree than the Am.Robins,but

      with enough keen eyes the bird was located.