Re: [CALBIRDS] cross-posting of rare birds

  • canyonwren
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 22, 2001
      One thing I have not seen discussed yet in this thread is that there are
      many out-of-staters who subscribe to Calbirds. I am one of these. I don't
      know of all the other listservs that exist in California. I subscribe to
      Calbirds because I want to learn about the RARE birds that appear. If a
      Red-throated Pipit has shown up in CA and has not been reported to this
      listserv, then this listserv is ceasing to fulfill the purpose that caused
      me to subscribe to it.

      Yes, I know that many of you very fortunate CA birders bird only in your own
      counties. You are very fortunate to have such an abundance of bird species
      to be able to do that. Unfortunately for a midwesterner like myself, I
      can't see in my entire state what many of you can see in your own county.

      Now you may think that this is your state listserv and why should you care
      about out-of-staters. Simple, we contribute to the economy of California
      when we come there to bird. I would wager that right now, travelling
      birders would be very welcome to the entire economy of the US. So please
      indulge us because it is of mutual benefit.

      Details on the pipit would be appreciated.

      Good Birding!
      Lynea

      Lynea Hinchman
      Michigan City, IN
      Heart of the Indiana Dunes
      canyonwren@...

      GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    • lists
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 23, 2001
        All,

        In Steve Holzman's original message, he suggested the idea that the posts to
        all of the CA birding listservs could be compiled daily and posted to a web
        site. This would create a centralized repository for all CA RBA information,
        without having to subscribe to all of the various local CA lists.

        I think that this idea is quite worthwhile, as it would mean that birders
        from anywhere could easily find out about rarities as soon as they are
        posted. Of course it doesn't address the phone vs. email issue, but it would
        be a move towards making statewide birding information more accessible.

        I'll volunteer to create this. I'd like to hear from anyone who has
        suggestions or comments on how they'd like this web page to work. For now,
        I'm thinking that a simple sort by date or by list will suffice. Posts from
        the various lists will be automatically added as they are received.

        Feel free to post here or email me directly.

        -Dave Ranney
        dave at sialia dot com