RE: [CALBIRDS] Northern Shrike

  • Richard Cimino
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2004
      Al will you Shrike post your photo's ?
      Rich Cimino
      Pleasanton, Ca.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: borodayko [mailto:borodayko@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:29 PM
      To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CALBIRDS] Northern Shrike

      Greetings,

      There was a report of a returning Northern Shrike (last year an
      immature) to the Tillie Creek Campground area of Lake Isabella on Monday
      on the Kern County Birding Yahoo chat site. I went to Lake Isabella this
      morning, Tuesday, and after walking throughout the area for about an
      hour, I found it sitting in a bush about 100 yds from my car. This year
      it is sporting adult plummage. I had parked on the south side of the
      campground entrance near the fenced enclosure that once held a pier or
      boat storage area. The Shrike was on a small leafless tree along one of
      the dry washes that run from the edge of the campground toward the
      marina to the southeast. I got there at 7:00 AM and located it at approx
      8:30 AM and photographed it till about 9:30. He moved twice in that time
      but basically stayed in that area. I turned away for a minute as I was
      leaving and when I looked back it was gone. Just out of curiosity I
      looked for it some more but could not refind it. It has the ability to
      appear and disappear like magic.

      Also, saw 2 coyotes, a male Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk, Flickers,
      Juncos, White-crowned Sparrows, Phainapeplas, Scrub-jays, and many Calif
      Quail.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA

      Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
      to these addresses: Turn off email delivery:
      mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links