Northern Shrike

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2004
      Greetings,

      There was a report of a returning Northern Shrike (last year an
      immature) to the Tillie Creek Campground area of Lake Isabella on
      Monday on the Kern County Birding Yahoo chat site. I went to Lake
      Isabella this morning, Tuesday, and after walking throughout the area
      for about an hour, I found it sitting in a bush about 100 yds from my
      car. This year it is sporting adult plummage. I had parked on the
      south side of the campground entrance near the fenced enclosure that
      once held a pier or boat storage area. The Shrike was on a small
      leafless tree along one of the dry washes that run from the edge of
      the campground toward the marina to the southeast. I got there at 7:00
      AM and located it at approx 8:30 AM and photographed it till about
      9:30. He moved twice in that time but basically stayed in that area. I
      turned away for a minute as I was leaving and when I looked back it
      was gone. Just out of curiosity I looked for it some more but could
      not refind it. It has the ability to appear and disappear like magic.

      Also, saw 2 coyotes, a male Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk,
      Flickers, Juncos, White-crowned Sparrows, Phainapeplas, Scrub-jays,
      and many Calif Quail.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • Richard Cimino
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2004
        Al will you Shrike post your photo's ?
        Rich Cimino
        Pleasanton, Ca.

[...]

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        to these addresses: Turn off email delivery:
        mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links